New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: I found this on fb market and was wondering if it's legit.

User Info Menu

Question I found this on fb market and was wondering if it's legit.

Hello there,
    I'm not an expert on Ernie Ball guitars but I saw this listing that I am interested in, was wondering what you guys might think.

The seller stated the following:

Ernie Ball Music Man (EVH) Purple Burst. NEW

Ernie Ball Music Man (based on the new EVH designs, with the current axis design)

Brand new, made in California to very specific design details. Color is Purple Burst. 2 X hummbucker with Patended Floyd Rose bridge so you can kill that whammy bar and she'll come back smiling in perfect tune! Custom edition, therefor 1 volume knob (no treble or bass) and pickup selector (similar to Wolfgang Special)

It's priced under what I'd expect of an Ernie Ball so I'm somewhat suspicious, below are some pictures of it.

I found this on fb market and was wondering if it's legit.-119077919_10220277368818431_1612490056698108003_o-jpgI found this on fb market and was wondering if it's legit.-119158314_10220277368418421_4515888061058751142_o-jpgI found this on fb market and was wondering if it's legit.-119217053_10220277368618426_5420739292692978731_o-jpg

User Info Menu

I can say that the headstock shape is a good bit off, and it has John Petrucci's signature at the top (which should not be on an Axis, which is what this style would be known as now). EBMM has not called the guitar you're interested in the EVH for 25 or so years. Others will be able to chime in further.

User Info Menu

Super fake. Say you wanna meet, then work him over with it for trying to scam people
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

My first though was a relabelled OLP but I don't think it's not even that. The headstock is just wrong, and the pickups have only slug pole pieces.

Run away. Or burn it. Which ever you prefer.

And if you can report it as a scam/fake, do.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Unless it's like $100 bucks and you just buy it as a curiosity, then stay very far away... I've never owned a music man guitar with such messed up nut to tuner string positioning not to mention everything else listed above, especially the JP signature, it's like the idiot who made it just used whatever stencil they had laying around. :P
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 09-26-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

Trash. Run.

User Info Menu

Super fake. Whatever it is, you don't want it. EBMM headstocks always have straight string pull across the nut, which that obviously doesn't, combined with all of the other errors mentioned before.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

I agree with all the others It is a fake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobyte View Post
    Unless it's like $100 bucks...
    Honestly, you'd have to pay me $100 to take it away.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Honestly, you'd have to pay me $100 to take it away.
    Roger that and generally I'd agree... though oddly enough I do have a use case for spending $100 on a trash knock off guitar, which I guess is why I mentioned it... I'd gladly spend 100 bucks to take it to a gig whip it out for the last song and destroy it at the end of the gig to a thrilled audience and a horrified band... my band would think I've literally gone nuts due to how far out of character it is, the general costs of these things and knowing how much I love my guitars! Of course I'd let everyone in the band know after it was all over, but it would amuse me to do that, it's something I've wanted to do for a while now really lol
    Last edited by Cenobyte; 09-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex Game Changer HSHP

User Info Menu

Just to confirm the above comments, there is so much wrong with this guitar it isn't even a decent copy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xstream View Post
    It's priced under what I'd expect of an Ernie Ball so I'm somewhat suspicious, below are some pictures of it.
    What is this gem priced at?
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport MM90
    EBMM 2001 Axis Super Sport HH
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    What is this gem priced at?
    Finding an EVH in purple that hasn't faded out is rare. I would guess $3k+ would be a realistic price if this were legit.

If they're asking more than $70 for this one, I'd laugh.

User Info Menu

Like other said. Petrucci siggy on that should be a dead giveaway. This is seriously not legit.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.