2020 StingRay Special colors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could have two, which would they be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmmp View Post
    The Sabre and cutlass are very similar, shape wise. The neck on the Sabre is a little thinner, and doesn’t morph shapes as you go up the neck. The pickups are hotter, but not really similar to the Axis. The Axis pickups sound fantastic, but I am not a big fan of Floyd Roses. The Sabre’s body is more comfortable (to me), but the neck on the axis feels a little better to me.

I would ask what kind of sounds you want to achieve besides your Cutlass? High gain? Floating bridge? Piezo?

What two would I have? Cutlass RS HSS and a Majesty 7 or JP7
    Love the JP line - any reason you suggest the 6 over the 15?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallissyc View Post
    How different are these than the Cutlass HSS? Would they be a good add to my arsenal? I am going for versatility. I feel like the Cutlass gives me good versatility, but I want something for high gain.
    If itís high gain... not sure. Not my playing area. The valentine gives you a Tele and 335 in one guitar, with a really nice boost switch. I think it would have no problem with high gain, but I canít testify
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

How different are these than the Cutlass HSS? Would they be a good add to my arsenal? I am going for versatility. I feel like the Cutlass gives me good versatility, but I want something for high gain.
    They are pretty different. See previous comments on Val. AL HH is the same pickups as the Axis SS. You get 5 positions - inner and outer coils for positions 2 and 4. It will take gain no problem, and it feels wonderful to play. All rosewood neck = sweeeeeeeet
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Love the JP line - any reason you suggest the 6 over the 15?
    Iíve determined I hardly ever use the piezo, and would rather have the passive electronics of a JP6 (or 7) and the most comfortable arm scoop ever made on a guitar, but I find the majesty neck shape more comfortable. But thatís just me. If youíre looking at the JP line, you wonít go wrong with any of them.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Starry night born 2/6/17
    Bongo 5 HS Starry Night born 12/16/16
    Some other guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    Morse & AL
    ^ This

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    ^ This
    How does the AL compare to the Cutlass?

User Info Menu

I keep seeing the Albert Lee coming up - how does it compare to the Cutlass?
    To me the AL has all the features I like in an EBMM. Vintage Trem, comfortable shape, neck profile, (mine is rosewood) Passive electronics (no silent circuit).
    My first Cutlass was SSS w/ standard maple neck. Had stability issues, wanted / needs a Humbucker in the bridge.
    2nd Cutlass, RS HSS. Solid guitar, didn't care for the new trem vs the Vintage model, just didn't gel with it compared to my AL. Replaced it w/ a different brand super strat.
    If I could have one thing from the Cutlass, it would be the SS frets.
    Both of my Luke II's, were great, but after a while, I didn't like the soft V or the low wide frets or the EMGs
    I keep eyeing the LIII's possibly for another try at the Luke...

User Info Menu

I'd probably go for a Majesty 6 of some sort - I really like the features. Logic would dictate an SSS Cutlass as well, but I'm just a humbucker guy - so I might just pick a JP15 as the second, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I prefer the radius on the JPXI, that guitar is addictive.

User Info Menu

AL SSS and Luke 3
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 09-29-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Definitely an AL SSS and/or MM90 and either a Luke or Axis Super Sport

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    Definitely an AL SSS and/or MM90 and either a Luke or Axis Super Sport
    I have a Cutlass HSS - what would you take as a second in my spot? Would it be an Axis or an AL?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    AL SSS and Luke 3
    I have to trust a man who has 5x AL's! Hah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbc83 View Post
    I'd probably go for a Majesty 6 of some sort - I really like the features. Logic would dictate an SSS Cutlass as well, but I'm just a humbucker guy - so I might just pick a JP15 as the second, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I prefer the radius on the JPXI, that guitar is addictive.
    How do you feel about the JP15? I am leaning towards possibly a JP15, and might even sell my Cutlass, but I do love my Cutlass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitardan View Post
    To me the AL has all the features I like in an EBMM. Vintage Trem, comfortable shape, neck profile, (mine is rosewood) Passive electronics (no silent circuit).
    My first Cutlass was SSS w/ standard maple neck. Had stability issues, wanted / needs a Humbucker in the bridge.
    2nd Cutlass, RS HSS. Solid guitar, didn't care for the new trem vs the Vintage model, just didn't gel with it compared to my AL. Replaced it w/ a different brand super strat.
    If I could have one thing from the Cutlass, it would be the SS frets.
    Both of my Luke II's, were great, but after a while, I didn't like the soft V or the low wide frets or the EMGs
    I keep eyeing the LIII's possibly for another try at the Luke...
    I'm going to have to get my hand on one of these AL's - I like my Cutlass, but if the AL is better than the Cutlass? DAMN! Hah. What super strat did you get post-Cutlass?

User Info Menu

Although I have never played one (yet), I am surprised no one has suggested a StingRay RS.

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook