New banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you could have two, which would they be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallissyc View Post
    I'm going to have to get my hand on one of these AL's - I like my Cutlass, but if the AL is better than the Cutlass? DAMN! Hah. What super strat did you get post-Cutlass?
    1) I honestly couldn't tell if I'd rather play a Cutlass over my AL's. I've never tried one. (Nor do I feel any desire to.) But truth is I prefer my AL's to all the guitars I've ever owned.
    - Parker Fly's
    - Tom Anderson's
    - Ibanez Jem's
    - Robin's
    - Various and countless high-end/signature strats, teles, les pauls, es-335, ...
    - All the ones I've long forgotten...

2) 5 AL's...is just noob-level , some "quieter" guys own many more and more "precious" AL's!

3) I don't see the AL SSS as a super strat. It is ...well... an AL. Kind of a mix between a strat and a tele with its unique personality. Just as the AL HH is, IMHO, a mix between a Les Paul and an SG. (Much more than that in fact)

4) As stated in countless forums, I've lost the desire to experiment any further or to keep hunting for a "better" instrument. I have found MY model and will happily stick with it!
    I suck as a guitar player anyway!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

I have a Cutlass HSS - what would you take as a second in my spot? Would it be an Axis or an AL?
    AL no question

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    AL no question
    SSS or HH?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    AL no question
    I'm considering trading my Cutlass HSS for an Axis. What do you think?

User Info Menu

How do you feel about the JP15? I am leaning towards possibly a JP15, and might even sell my Cutlass, but I do love my Cutlass.
    Honestly, I haven't tried it. Noone stocks Music Man here in Denmark (there's hardly any music stores left), so both my JP6 and JPXI has been bought used. My two JP's (my only guitars) are the best I've ever played, so I figured the JP15 would be a great addition - I love the looks and specs. My JPXI is easier to play than the JP6 because of the radius and SS frets, but the unfinished neck on the JP6 feels great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cbc83 View Post
    Honestly, I haven't tried it. Noone stocks Music Man here in Denmark (there's hardly any music stores left), so both my JP6 and JPXI has been bought used. My two JP's (my only guitars) are the best I've ever played, so I figured the JP15 would be a great addition - I love the looks and specs. My JPXI is easier to play than the JP6 because of the radius and SS frets, but the unfinished neck on the JP6 feels great.
    What style of music do you play? Assuming heavier stuff? I feel like the JP crowd has been underrepresented in this thread. Seems like the general consensus has been the AL as a second instrument, but I also like the looks of the JP.

User Info Menu

I'm going to have to get my hand on one of these AL's - I like my Cutlass, but if the AL is better than the Cutlass? DAMN! Hah. What super strat did you get post-Cutlass?
    Technically not an HSS - Super Strat, but more of an S guitar on steroids - PRS - NF3. (3 Narrow Field humbuckers)

User Info Menu

Different guitars, chose the one that best suits your needs!
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

What style of music do you play? Assuming heavier stuff? I feel like the JP crowd has been underrepresented in this thread. Seems like the general consensus has been the AL as a second instrument, but I also like the looks of the JP.
    Actually, I play a wide range of genres. I do like a bit of 'chugga chugga' sometimes, but it's mostly straight ahead rock. I even use the piezo on several songs live (hence my initial love of the model - I'm also a huge Dream Theater fan, of course). Even if the JPXI is probably one of the more 'metal' models in the range, I find it extremely versatile.

User Info Menu

SSS or HH?
    Either one, I currently have an SSS modified, an MM-90 and an HH, all good but prefer the first two mentioned. Will be listing my HH soon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    I've lost the desire to experiment any further or to keep hunting for a "better" instrument. I have found MY model and will happily stick with it!
    I suck as a guitar player anyway!
    This is exactly how I feel about the Axis. I tried them all...had several PRS (mostly Singlecuts), then went to a Duesenberg Starplayer, then a Gretsch White Penguin, then a vintage Gibson LP Junior.
    There was always something missing. I let the Junior go for a Luke 3 and cash and I fell in love with that neck. Ended up trading the Luke for my first Axis, an MM90. Added a Cutlass SSS, but was missing the ability to switch to a humbucker, so I traded it for a PRS CE-22 and used the coil splitting to get the "strat-esque" sound I wanted. Then loved my second Axis HH so much I sold the PRS and just bought an Axis HSS.

Find what feels and sounds the best for what you need - whether that's one model or several. That's going to be different for everybody, as long as it has Ernie's name on the headstock.
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport MM90
    EBMM 2001 Axis Super Sport HH
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    As stated in countless forums, I've lost the desire to experiment any further or to keep hunting for a "better" instrument. I have found MY model and will happily stick with it!
    Me, too! Two LIIIs HH. Different wood combos.
    Starry Night LIII HH
    DuBaldo Blue LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary

User Info Menu

An Al 3 SSS and a JP siggy for me.
    "Welcome to the addiction!" is now patented by Koogie2k......if used by anyone other than Koogie2k....you must mail him a US nickel for each time said/typed or signed.......

A WISE AND RESPECTED MAN TOLD ME:

"Do something nice for someone everyday. Don't let your head hit the pillow until you do something nice for someone each day." I hope I don't let him down.

User Info Menu

I think something traditional like a Silhouette(which I have already got),and then if I thought I deserved it something as different sounding as possible? - like one of those futuristic looking 7 string Majesty guitars. Would'nt necessarily buy new though

User Info Menu

What a simple question...
    1) Purple Nebula Majesty 6
    2) Purple Nebula Majesty 7
    Current EBMM Guitars:
    2012 JPXI-7
    2014 JP6 BFR Koa
    2018 Valentine
    2018 JP15 BFR Eminence Purple

My Youtube Channel