Straps 2020
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen

User Info Menu

NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen

I picked up this 23-year-old case queen today in a sweet deal on Craigslist. This is a October 1997 Music Man Axis Sport guitar made with a swamp ash body and birds-eye maple neck.
    It is in MINT condition! No scratches and zero fret wear!

The orange guitar you see is one I bought in July 1997 and has been my #1 since then. I canít believe I found this ďnewĒ blue one in mint condition for way less than I paid for the orange one in 1997! It was listed on Washington DC's Craigslist. I found it because i routinely search Richmond's Craigslist for gems as I travel there to see family. When I said to the owner that if he didn't sell it in a month, I get it my next trip to Richmond in October, he said he would hold it for me since I had its orange sister.

I have never found a clean sound I love better than the neck+middle combo in this guitar. My second favorite clean is the neck+split bridge on this guitar which sounds like the middle position of a telecaster.

Iíll be putting clear pickguards on both really soon to show off the ash grain. I am not sure if the black tuner buttons, three-pickguard, or the black volume & tone knobs are original as my orange guitar has none of those. I'll be changing the tuner buttons and knobs to match the orange one, or maybe pearloid buttons.

And the orange one is going to now become my platform for modding. Iíll be putting a Dimarzio Air Norton S in the neck position, with a coil tap on the volume knob, giving me 10 different pickup configurations. Also, Iím going to put on Wilkinson locking saddles on the bridge. I'll make a post about that when I do that mod over Winter Break.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen-image0-jpg   NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen-image2-jpg   NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen-image1-jpg   NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen-image3-jpg  
    "Musician, Heal Thyself!" -Ask me how!

User Info Menu

Nice congrats, that's a great snag!!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

That is gorgeous! Congrats!
    --
    1997 Axis Red hardtail / 2000 Axis Red
    2002 Axis Blue Dawn / 2007 Axis SuperSport LE Blue Dawn
    2014 Axis SuperSport Semi-Hollow Piezo Black Cherry Burst
    2017 BFR Steve Morse HH Tahitian Blue #69 of 69
    2018 BFR Axis SuperSport Trans Light Purple #10 of 27
    2020 Luke III H-H Fuchsia Sparkle
    2020 Cutlass RS Ghostwood

User Info Menu

That's Cool!!! You're lucky you live in a metropolitan area, ain't jack here.

Yea I've been looking for an amber one in good shape for a while now. All of the ones for sale have big dents. I'll find one, maybe I'll get lucky like you!
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple
    '05 JP6 Medallion Gold
    '09 Axis Amber Quilt
    '11 JP6 Pearl White
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    '18 Majesty Monarchy Majestic Purple

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Beautiful! Congrats!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Wow great grab looks mint congrats

User Info Menu

Sweet!

User Info Menu

Brilliant. Of the four axis models, the sport is, IMO, the best looking
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 8pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...tober-22-2020/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @NashvilleSkies

User Info Menu

Great snag man!
    You've inspired me to check under the pickguard on my new '97!
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport MM90
    EBMM 2001 Axis Super Sport HH
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    Great snag man!
    You've inspired me to check under the pickguard on my new '97!
    What color is yours?
    "Musician, Heal Thyself!" -Ask me how!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pain-Free Music View Post
    What color is yours?
    NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen-axis2-jpg
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

User Info Menu

Congratulations!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Awesome find!! I remember when the Sports were first released some of the die hard fans of the previous regular VH model were taken aback by the change...different pickups, woods, pickguards, etc. I look back now and think it was a genius move to implement that model to appeal to a wider audience.

As cool as the regular VH/Axis model is, these days I’d gladly take a Sport in great condition like that over just about anything. I’m the proud owner of a 2000 Sport with MM90s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart View Post
    Awesome find!! I remember when the Sports were first released some of the die hard fans of the previous regular VH model were taken aback by the change...different pickups, woods, pickguards, etc. I look back now and think it was a genius move to implement that model to appeal to a wider audience.

As cool as the regular VH/Axis model is, these days I’d gladly take a Sport in great condition like that over just about anything. I’m the proud owner of a 2000 Sport with MM90s!

When did the Sports get introduced?
    I absolutely love mine ('97 MM90 and '98 HSS), and think they handle better than my '01 Super Sport.
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

User Info Menu

NGD!! Axis Sport Case Queen

Quote Originally Posted by wesman11483 View Post
    When did the Sports get introduced?
    I absolutely love mine ('97 MM90 and '98 HSS), and think they handle better than my '01 Super Sport.
    Pretty sure it was 96 or 97.