Flat Ribbon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you had to sell some guitars, where would you do it these days?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShamusOnBass63 View Post
    I avoid selling directly to shops, simply because you’ll be giving away your guitars for next to nothing (unless you’re consigning). Craigslist is a joke in the Bay Area...no one is serious about doing business (YMMV). If you’re not in a rush to move these, start here, since it’s already a target audience. Good Luck!
    I'm definitely not in a rush.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Glad to hear that Rob!! Yes all are fine. How any are you looking to move? How any you going to keep? Looking at your sig there are quite a few?

Glenn |B)
    Glad to hear y'all are well.

Not sure how many I am planning to sell. Could be anywhere from one or two to nearly half the collection. Early contenders are my Dargie 2 Silo Gold Roller, the Black Sugar Luke, the Armada, and maybe the Darklord. Maybe more. Could be anywhere from one or two to up to the vast majority of the collection. The only guitar that's definitely not going anywhere is my 2012 PDN Y2D, which I played at our wedding. Part of my motivation is a move to maybe downsize. Part of it is maybe to finance a Purple Nebula. Who knows? We'll see.
    Last edited by roburado; 11-01-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Yup, as said above, I used to sell on Reverb but they raise their fees, so it's back to ebay.

If there's a dispute though, the buyer will always win. But it never comes to that for honest folks. Just declare everything about the guitar and you'll be fine on fleabay.
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple
    '05 JP6 Medallion Gold
    '09 Axis Amber Quilt
    '11 JP6 Pearl White
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    '18 Majesty Monarchy Majestic Purple

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    In selling directly to stores, my experience (on both sides of the store counter) is that a store will offer you 50% of what they can sell it for. And they will rarely if ever like giving out cash, their job is to move stock out and bring money in. Bear that in mind when deciding where to sell.
    Yeah. I was afraid of that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Yup, as said above, I used to sell on Reverb but they raise their fees, so it's back to ebay.

If there's a dispute though, the buyer will always win. But it never comes to that for honest folks. Just declare everything about the guitar and you'll be fine on fleabay.
    For sure, I'll be upfront about things.

User Info Menu

I always try to sell locally and if it doesn't than I keep. Except maybe small items like pedals. I use craigslist and facebook marketplace and various local facebook groups for buying/selling gear

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

I just sold 2 guitars back to back for about 6k all in on my local Kijiji to help cover my crazy silver July BFR Silo.... sometimes you need to wait a bit for the right offer, other times they sell within a week. But I'll continue to sell locally this way for sure not into fees at all, plus this gives me more wiggle room for offers. I will say Craigslist works once in a while however it's Kijiji where I get the most offers and actual sales... I generally post the same ad on both.

Albert Lee HH
    Silhouette BFR July '20
    Cutlass SSS
    Reflex GC HSHP

User Info Menu

Rob! Missed you buddy and hope you are well. I sell all music gear on Reverb. So smooth and I love that company. IMHO, the 5% fees are still better than eBay and reverb pays direct bypassing PayPal.

PM me with what you are unloading! I might be interested. . So good to hear from you.
    Last edited by Astrofreq; 11-05-2020 at 11:51 AM.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

In the UK I usually sell on Gumtree and recently I have sold a couple of guitars on Facebook either in the local guitar sites or FB marketplace.Ebay used to be cheap but when you add in their fees and then add the paypal fees you'll find that you can buy a lot cheaper elsewhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofreq View Post
    Rob! Missed you buddy and hope you are well. I sell all music gear on Reverb. So smooth and I love that company. IMHO, the 5% fees are still better than eBay and reverb pays direct bypassing PayPal.

PM me with what you are unloading! I might be interested. . So good to hear from you.
    Hey! Good to see you! I'll let you know!

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,
    Newbie forumite here. I like to use a few media options when selling. Since you said you aren't in a hurry, knock selling to a store or consignment off the list. Stores will only pay you a percentage of what THEY will sell it for. As a buyer, I find this site and Reverb easier to navigate. eBay seems to be flooded with multiple listings from overseas of the same guitar. I don't know if Kijiji exists in the US, but it is quite effective here in Canada. Though at times it feels like prospective buyers want garage sale/Thrift market deals.

User Info Menu

After just shy of 300 transactions on Reverb...I just closed my account. Their fees have become ridiculous and they say right on their selling page that you retain 92.3% of your sale price. In reality, they just took $25 more than that on a $1550 sale. I can't wait for them to say that the shipping fee is part of the sale price...
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail FOR SALE
    2006 EBMM Silhouette - Egyptian Smoke - HSH/Trem - Maple/RW neck FOR SALE
    2017 EBMM Silhouette - White - HSH/Trem - Maple/RW neck FOR SALE

20XX SbMM AX30D - Cherry Burst Quilt - HH
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut - HSH Mod - ever changing
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups
    2019 SbMM Axis - Black - Dimarzio Air Norton/AT-1 pickups
    2015 SbMM Silo3 SUB - Black/Maple HSS