Mariposa White
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had to sell some guitars, where would you do it these days?

User Info Menu

If you had to sell some guitars, where would you do it these days?

Hi, folks. I haven't posted here very much in the past several years. I haven't really spent much time playing guitar for the same time period. I haven't spent much time looking at where and how forum members sell their guitars lately.

In the past, the for-sale thread was seemingly full of guitars. I'm thinking of selling some guitars. EBMMs comprise the majority of my collection. For those of you who have sold guitars lately, how have you done it? On the forum? Reverb? EBay? Local listings like Facebook, Craigslist, etc.?

Basically, I'm looking at all these guitars that don't get played, and I'm thinking they need to have a home where they're going to get the playing they deserve.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Well I hate Ebay and Reverb as a seller, if something goes wrong buyer seems to always win and you get screwed, not to mention the fees.

I have just been using the EBMM forum or The Gear Page, my backup is selling directly to GC or Sam Ash

Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Reverb raised their fees so they now take a bigger cut than Ebay. I try the forums but generally they just sit unsold there. Ebay usually works the best for me as far as the quickest sale with the highest price. It's not a perfect place to sale but it works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    Well I hate Ebay and Reverb as a seller, if something goes wrong buyer seems to always win and you get screwed, not to mention the fees.

I have just been using the EBMM forum or The Gear Page, my backup is selling directly to GC or Sam Ash

Hope this helps.
    Thanks. I might go down to the GC down the street.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple; Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    Reverb raised their fees so they now take a bigger cut than Ebay. I try the forums but generally they just sit unsold there. Ebay usually works the best for me as far as the quickest sale with the highest price. It's not a perfect place to sale but it works.

Did EBay in the past to sell a few things, a Taylor, a couple other little things. Bought a couple of things there. Good to know that Reverb is a more expensive place. Maybe, I'll avoid it.

User Info Menu

Anybody ever try Music Go Round? There's one of those near me.

User Info Menu

My preference is usually to sell locally, which works in a big city. But when I have unusual or interesting guitars (as a lot of yours are), I tend to post them here- it's an audience that's more receptive. TGP can be decent too, depending (though I always find there a lot of tire kickers there).

Regardless, figure out what you want for them and sit tight. They'll eventually sell.

User Info Menu

Hey Rob, long time no see, hope things are going well. Can't hurt to post here, there are a lot of lurkers and they might be interested. I've done both Ebay and Reverb in the past, never had any issue, must have been super lucky.

Good luck with the sales. Let's see what you've got in the For Sale thread.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

In selling directly to stores, my experience (on both sides of the store counter) is that a store will offer you 50% of what they can sell it for. And they will rarely if ever like giving out cash, their job is to move stock out and bring money in. Bear that in mind when deciding where to sell.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I have never sold a guitar to a private non trade buyer.

But I have bought quite a few guitars from private sellers. And, personally I would never,ever buy a high value guitar from a private individual, unseen, without trying it out first. I think my atitude might be quite representative.

I don't know how you could factor this in if you live in a remote area. Maybe try to sell your EBMMs, as a lot, to a collector, of which I have seen on spectacular example recently on this forum. Or try to locate some EBMM event that might be worth travelling to if you can establish there might be multiple buying interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    My preference is usually to sell locally, which works in a big city. But when I have unusual or interesting guitars (as a lot of yours are), I tend to post them here- it's an audience that's more receptive. TGP can be decent too, depending (though I always find there a lot of tire kickers there).

Regardless, figure out what you want for them and sit tight. They'll eventually sell.
    Thanks, beej. My first choice is to try to sell here first, for sure. Glad to hear it seems like a viable option still.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Hey Rob, long time no see, hope things are going well. Can't hurt to post here, there are a lot of lurkers and they might be interested. I've done both Ebay and Reverb in the past, never had any issue, must have been super lucky.

Good luck with the sales. Let's see what you've got in the For Sale thread.

Glenn |B)

Thanks, Glenn. We're well. Thanks. Hope all is well with you and yours. When I figure out where I want to start with thinning the herd, I'll probably start here like we used to do back in the day.

User Info Menu

True that stores offers can be low, but you also save on fees and shipping costs and the worry that comes with shipping.

I found that Sam Ash offers were better than GC. I sold four items to Sam Ash before I moved to Vegas and got almost all I would have if I sold directly on a forum and definitely more than Ebay would have netted.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    In selling directly to stores, my experience (on both sides of the store counter) is that a store will offer you 50% of what they can sell it for. And they will rarely if ever like giving out cash, their job is to move stock out and bring money in. Bear that in mind when deciding where to sell.

User Info Menu

I avoid selling directly to shops, simply because you’ll be giving away your guitars for next to nothing (unless you’re consigning). Craigslist is a joke in the Bay Area...no one is serious about doing business (YMMV). If you’re not in a rush to move these, start here, since it’s already a target audience. Good Luck!
    “Don’t play it if you don’t feel it.”

James Jamerson

“If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.”

RUSH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roburado View Post
    Thanks, Glenn. We're well. Thanks. Hope all is well with you and yours. When I figure out where I want to start with thinning the herd, I'll probably start here like we used to do back in the day.
    Glad to hear that Rob!! Yes all are fine. How any are you looking to move? How any you going to keep? Looking at your sig there are quite a few?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"