Majesty New Colors 2021
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling JP tremolo replacement

User Info Menu

Sterling JP tremolo replacement

Hi all,

I'm watching to buy in few days a new sterling JP100 and a Silo30.

Is someone here is able to tell me If we can add a piezo system on these guitars?
    (ghost acoust-phonic, or fishman vs-100 bridge or anything else with a piezo system) -pat maybe :$

Thanks a lot for your answer.

User Info Menu

if you can get me the measurements of those bridges,

post spacing
    aprox space of the baseplate

I can let you know if it'll be a drop in replacement. The biggest issues are the size of the baseplate and the post spacing. Otherwise its going to be brain surgery.

User Info Menu

Ghost saddles have Many dimension ( vintage fender, import fender, wilkinson etc...)
    I've just found a pdf files Of the fishman routing template.

http://www.fishman.com/uploads/produ...cuments/80.pdf

Maybe It Will give you the informations needed.

Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Graphtech ghost saddles have Many différent dimensions (strat vintage, import strat, wilkinson etc...)

I've found the fishman TSV (which seems to near of sbmm one tremolo), routing template. Hope It Will contains the needed informations you asked me.

http://www.fishman.com/uploads/produ...cuments/80.pdf

Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Dear Pat,

Thanks for your answer.

Please find here a picture of the routing template for the fishman TSV bridge (I thinks it seems the nearer of the JP100 tremolo)

Sterling JP tremolo replacement-fishman-jpg

For the ghost saddles, there is many different dimensions (Vintage Strat, Import Strat, Wilkinson ...)

What do you think for the fishman ?
    Do you knoow the dimension of the JP100 saddles ? (I can compare them with the graptech ghost available)

thanks a lot

User Info Menu

Pm me your email address and I'll take some measurements of the JP50 saddles.

Thanks
    Pat

User Info Menu

It's Done

Thanks a lot Pat

User Info Menu

the JP50 trem baseplate will fit within this spec. Also the post spacing is the same. If you can get a spec on the depth of the block, that would help as the block on the JP50 is bit shorter and has a slight angle.
    I sent the email regarding the saddles.
    Thanks
    Pat

User Info Menu

what about this one? I might consider installing it eventually.

Don't know if that info there is enough to know, I'm aiming at the U.S. Standard version.

Specifications

U.S. Standard
    • Works with 2 1/16" or similar E-to-E string spacing and two mounting posts
    • Threaded tremolo arm
    • Post spacing is 2.2" center to center.

Source:
    LR Baggs | X-Bridge | Acoustic Guitar Pickups
    Last edited by WalterLacayo; 01-26-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Additional Info

User Info Menu

hi walter
    i really need the outer post spacing (center of post to post) and the overall dimensions of the baseplate.

I checked the site briefly and didn't see it.

Thanks
    Pat

User Info Menu

This is all I could find in the PDF Manual they have there. Does it help?
    No info about the baseplate, but if it's the same as a Strat as it is said there, then I could find one and compare.
    Thanks!

2 . OVERVIEW AND CAUTIONS
    The X-Bridge is a tremolo bridge pickup that is a drop-in replacement for the American Standard Strat bridge. Post spacing is 2.2" center to center.

Source:
    LR Baggs | X-Bridge | U.S. Standard Manual (PDF)
    Last edited by WalterLacayo; 01-26-2011 at 12:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patpark View Post
    the JP50 trem baseplate will fit within this spec. Also the post spacing is the same. If you can get a spec on the depth of the block, that would help as the block on the JP50 is bit shorter and has a slight angle.
    I sent the email regarding the saddles.
    Thanks
    Pat
    Hey Pat

i'm very interested in this post, so it is possible to change the original bridge with the Fishman VST???
    and the thing with the saddles is optional??

thanks for your answer

Erick

User Info Menu

hold off and wait for a USA JP6 w/piezo. You'll be miles happier. Adding a piezo is ALWAYS a compromise. I had an aftermarket. If you know there is better out there, you'll always be wanting it.
    dannyMUSIC...mashing guitars since 1972

User Info Menu

I completely agree with danny. A few months ago I bought a JP50. It was a very well made guitar, especially in its price range. I too looked into upgrading the bridge to a piezo system, also upgrading the electronics and the pickups. By the time you put all that money and effort into it, you're pretty close to getting the real deal. I ended up returning the JP50 and ordered a fully loaded JP6 and couldn't be happier. Deals pop up on this board and ebay all the time. If you can hold out, I believe you would be happier if you waited.

One thing to note too is the Sterling necks have a completely different shape compared to the Ernie Ball necks. I noticed the sterling neck was flatter on the back. Not that is was bad, its just not the same as the EBMM neck.

User Info Menu

You guys have a point, but I think that in the end what defines if taking the risk is worthy or not is your own perspective.
    I have a JP50 and I'm willing to take the risk. Worst case scenario: I don't like how it all goes, take it off and sell it on ebay.

Why I think it's worthy? Because (in my case) if all goes as planned, I'll have a nice guitar with piezo for around $900 instead of $2000+
    I know there are better sounding piezos, there will always be, but I just care about adding a little acoustic dynamic to my tone whenever I need it (which is not even 10% of the time), after all an electric is meant to be an electric, if I wanted the best acoustic tone I'd get an acoustic. And that without mentioning I've learned about guitar hardware while researching the subject, before I just knew how to plug n' play haha. I just think it's been interesting.

So it really depends, I don't encourage anyone not to put a piezo on their own, just analize your situation and see if it's really a viable solution.