2020 StingRay Special colors

Thread: Valentine neck splitting, anyone?

User Info Menu

Valentine neck splitting, anyone?

Just wondering if anyone with a Valentine has experienced any wood splitting issues with their neck. I've got one with a roasted maple neck/fretboard and it has developed a longitudinal split at the heel end of the neck, running up the fretboard (through a fret). Don't have a photo at the moment but will get one when I'm back at home.

Anyone have any ideas on a good way to stabilize the crack to keep it from progressing?

User Info Menu

Never heard of this happening. I would strongly recommend you contact EBMM Customer Service -- they'll make it right.

User Info Menu

Oh dang! I mean, anything is possible, it's wood. Definitely contact customer service.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Well first off, I finally had a chance to snap a photo of the crack last evening but when I pulled the guitar out, there wasn't much to photograph.

I first noticed the crack while restringing the guitar and servicing/conditioning the neck. It would seem the conditioning infused some extra juice into the wood and caused it to swell a bit. Regardless, it's obviously still there and still frustrating as it is stored in a rather stable environment temperature and humidity-wise. I don't understand why it would have cracked as it has.

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    Never heard of this happening. I would strongly recommend you contact EBMM Customer Service -- they'll make it right.
    I'm actually the second owner of this guitar and it's now more than a year old, so I really have no warranty claim of any kind. I'm not sure how much benefit there is in contacting EBMM CS as a result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2mdude View Post
    I'm actually the second owner of this guitar and it's now more than a year old, so I really have no warranty claim of any kind. I'm not sure how much benefit there is in contacting EBMM CS as a result.
    I think you're underestimating how awesome EBMM is. EBMM CS is solid. Worst case you make a phone call and get disappointed. Best case they say, "Send it in and we'll sort it out." Can't hurt to try!

User Info Menu

Yeah, definitely still contact them! Also definitely still would want to see a picture of that crack, mainly for curiosity. It's an extremely rare occurrence.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dibart77 View Post
    I think you're underestimating how awesome EBMM is. EBMM CS is solid. Worst case you make a phone call and get disappointed. Best case they say, "Send it in and we'll sort it out." Can't hurt to try!
    Fair point. I assumed because I wasn't the original owner and it's well beyond the warranty period regardless, I had no footing on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Also definitely still would want to see a picture of that crack, mainly for curiosity. It's an extremely rare occurrence.
    I definitely want to document it better, regardless of any outcome with EBMM CS. I should have done that when I discovered it, but the very discovery of it had me in a bit of a dark funk. I will post pictures here once I can snap some that illustrate it well.

Appreciate the replies, guys.