New banner

Thread: Music Man Axis Fake?

User Info Menu

Music Man Axis Fake?

So, I found this musicman, which seems strange to me is that in most of the axis I have had the inscription "Made in San Luis Obispo" engraved on the neck, does anyone know if this musicman is real? I don't have a great eye to identify a real one from one that isn't, and if it's a copy, something tells me it's real.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Music Man Axis Fake?-3-jpg   Music Man Axis Fake?-9-jpg   Music Man Axis Fake?-8-jpg   Music Man Axis Fake?-4-jpg   Music Man Axis Fake?-6-jpg  

User Info Menu

Check the serial number here: Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

It looks OK to me, BUT I really can't tell much with such low quality photos. As Glenn said, get the serial number and run it through the database, and get better quality photos before you put any money down.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

The information on the back of the headstock is silk-screened on, and is the same color as the information on the front. In this case, silver, which is not going to show up in those photos due to the low quality. I can see 'something' where the markings should be, but it's too pixelated to show anything.

I don't see any of the tell tale signs that it isn't a real one.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / 3 Band EQ / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / 3 Band EQ/ AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck

User Info Menu

On first glance, this looks legit to me, with a few caveats:

1) On zooming, I don't see the Made in SLO text on back of headstock.

2) If neck IS real, its been refinished. The back of the neck is gloss. EBMM Axis should be a oil/wax finish, not gloss. Now, if the user decided to refinish the neck, the Made in SLO might have been sanded off the back of the headstock.

3) The diameter of the pickup selector switch looks bigger than the stock EBMM switch. But maybe it's just the photo...

4) The serial number looks like it's longer than a normal EBMM serial. I agree with the guys -- paste it in the EBMM Serial Lookup.

If it's a fake, it's one of the better fakes I have seen.