New Slinkys March 2020

Thread: Changing the pots on a pcb

User Info Menu

Changing the pots on a pcb

Anybody have any tips for swapping out the pots on an EBMM that has them mounted on a PCB? I'm not the best solderer to begin with, so that little circuit board kinda scares the crap out of me.

User Info Menu

Hot iron (600-700F, 320-370C) to melt the solder immediately, is better than cool iron and working slow to avoid overheating the board or you can damage it. Lots of great soldering resources online so check 'em out before starting. If you don't want to take the risk better ask a professional.

May I ask why are you changing pots?
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Another trick - if you don't want to save the pot - is to cut the lugs off. Then you can unsolder them individually.

User Info Menu

I'd like to try some 500k pots to see what that does for the top end of the minibuckers, before I potentially explore new pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    May I ask why are you changing pots?

User Info Menu

Haven't done it yet. About to order the parts. People who know more than me: will these work with an ebmmpcb?

Metallor Mini Alpha Pots Log A500k Volume Audio Potentiometer Electronics for Electric Guitar or Bass Guitar. (Mini A500k) Amazon.com: Metallor Mini Alpha Pots Log A500k Volume Audio Potentiometer Electronics for Electric Guitar or Bass Guitar. (Mini A500k): Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

Those pots aren't meant to be board mounted.

That said, if I were wiring new pots up, I'd probably just run wires to the preamp rather than mount them. Would make it easier to mod things in the future and avoid overheating the preamp.

User Info Menu

That's what I was afraid of. The pots in there now look smaller than normal guitar pots, but otherwise, I have no idea what to search for.

This guitar is passive, though, so no preamp.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Those pots aren't meant to be board mounted.

That said, if I were wiring new pots up, I'd probably just run wires to the preamp rather than mount them. Would make it easier to mod things in the future and avoid overheating the preamp.

User Info Menu

So far, these are the only 500k pcb pots with audio tapers and split shafts that I can find, but Jesus Hermione Christ, the cost of shipping is killing me.

Even Stewmac doesn't have them... Not that the shipping there is much better.

POT, A500K, PCB, KNURL SPLIT SHAFT, 16MM

User Info Menu

I love love love Emerson Pots. Made in Oklahoma and incredible quality.

The artist formerly known as "radrock"
    Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Do you have a link to their pcb pot offerings? I don't see anything on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofreq View Post
    I love love love Emerson Pots. Made in Oklahoma and incredible quality.