Cliff Williams
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Al is 8.4 lbs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Hahahahahahahaha, I've owned 2 guitars prior to my EBMM's. One was a Hodno strat copy, it was average weight and the other was a Ibanez ST-50 and it was heavier that the EBMM's. I personally find the EBMM's just right for me, but I have honestly never weighed one of them.

Glenn |B)
    Yeah the EBMMs I’ve owned and played in stores have all been pretty light compared to say Fender. This guitar is different though. Even my wife picked it up and commented how heavy it was before I said anything about the weight. It feels kind of like handling a Les Paul (but much better ergonomics). The guitar sounds fantastic though.

User Info Menu

Are the fingerboard edges rolled on your Als with maple boards? Mine are not at all and I was wondering if that was normal. That were rolled on my Cutlass nicely but that was a rosewood board.

User Info Menu

Yes that seems heavy - I have played lots of Als too.
    My 2006 Limited Edition is the heaviest Albert I have owned, but it was made from a diiferent wood to the norm.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Early BFR's are heavier - presumably because of the toneblock, - but yes that does seem heavy, - checked a 2nd set of scales?
    The Holy Trinity of Awesome design, tone and magic:

G50887 - This Albert Lee HH was completed on August 13th, 2010. 1 off- Lake Placid Blue
    N00363 - This Armada was completed on September 27th, 2013. Mint Green
    G47271 - This 25th Anniversary HH was completed on April 27th, 2009. Venetian Redburst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Smellybum View Post
    Early BFR's are heavier - presumably because of the toneblock, - but yes that does seem heavy, - checked a 2nd set of scales?
    I think the one I have is pretty accurate. I have several other guitars that I purchased with advertised weights and my scale pretty much says the same thing. The guitar just feels really heavy. When I first sat it in the scale I was sure it was going to be over nine pounds.

User Info Menu

The first batch that came into manny’s when I bought mine in 93/4 were all dead light. Mines under 7. 8lbs+ is plainly heavy. There are people, especially ebmm owners who don’t mind it, so I suggest you sell it and look for a lighter one. I think the lighter ones sound better anyway. My two cents.
    ------------------------------------------

www.beyondorangemusic.com

SELL ME YOUR 1st 50 MORSE!!!

1977 Stingray Bass B00 natural
    1977 Sabre guitar
    2014 Sabre Classic
    1987/8 Steve Morse
    1993 Van Halen hardtail
    1994 Albert Lee first batch
    1998 Axis hardtail
    1986 original pre silhouette Ernie Ball Music Man guitar
    2001 Mr. Horsepower 12 of 25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
    The first batch that came into manny’s when I bought mine in 93/4 were all dead light. Mines under 7. 8lbs+ is plainly heavy. There are people, especially ebmm owners who don’t mind it, so I suggest you sell it and look for a lighter one. I think the lighter ones sound better anyway. My two cents.
    Thanks for the input. I may end up doing just that. It’s kind of irritating that EBMM advertises this as a lightweight guitar and then get one so heavy. To me, as far as feel and expectations go, that’s not much different than advertising a 10” radius only to get one that has 7.25.

User Info Menu

That's not really a fair comparison. The weight range is within spec- it's just on the heavier side of that.

Guitars are made out of wood. Some end up being heavier than others. Really, if you don't like it, sell it or trade it for one that's more to your liking. Or take it up with customer service and discuss with them.

Personally, I have guitars on the heavier side and I can't say it's ever bothered me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    That's not really a fair comparison. The weight range is within spec- it's just on the heavier side of that.

Guitars are made out of wood. Some end up being heavier than others. Really, if you don't like it, sell it or trade it for one that's more to your liking. Or take it up with customer service and discuss with them.

Personally, I have guitars on the heavier side and I can't say it's ever bothered me.
    I'm aware that guitars are made of wood and that some are heavier than others (please don't be insulting). I think it is a fair comparison because just like EBMM can choose to put a different radius on a fretboard, they can choose to use a lighter piece of wood for the body. Especially when they advertise the guitar as lightweight but do not also advertise what weight range is considered within spec. I don't think most guitar players would consider 8.4lbs lightweight. I get it that a heavier guitar doesn't bother you and a lot of other players but a lighter guitar is a preference, much like a fretboard radius. Some preferences are harder to sell or trade. I suspect were I to advertise this guitar with its weight, it'd be harder to sell than otherwise.

I reached out to EBMM about this and their response was much like yours, telling me the weight was in spec. That doesn't make me think they are interested in helping out.

User Info Menu

What do you expect them to do? Put your guitar on a diet?
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise
    L3 HSS Olive Gold

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    What do you expect them to do? Put your guitar on a diet?
    LOL where is the damn like button when you need it

User Info Menu

Clyde,

I’m sure yours is a great guitar and I hope you find something better suited for you if need to. I sold a Strat that weighed in incredibly heavy, as in 10-11 pounds. It was a great guitar, but it was too much for my body. (This was long before the Cutlass was released).

Another possibility is maybe keep it for recording only? I have an older guitar that I use every so often on recordings, but would never use it live because it just isn’t my style.

Either way, best of luck and keep on rockin’. We are a bunch of knuckleheads around here and joke around with each other. We are always glad to see new members on the forums.
    Last edited by Astrofreq; 01-22-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    https://danielcarlton.bandcamp.com/

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

8.4 lbs is not heavy for me. It is just 3.8 kg.

For me under 4 kg, it is light.
    But weight is just one part of the problem. If the guitar is well-balanced, it is not a problem.
    I have an Ibanez semi, very light but neck heavy. I feel that my Morse (4 kg) is more comfortable to play because it is perfectly balanced.

User Info Menu

I’d sell it, and hunt for a lighter one. Personally I think an ash bodied guitar at 8.4 should not be considered within spec. Me and EBMM differ considerably here. I think in this price bracket, it’s not really good enough. Just my opinion. So yeah, I’d sell it and shop for a lighter one.
    Last edited by TripHazard; 01-23-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I bought it from a small shop. It was their only one and they don't do refunds.
    I completely understand you not liking heavy guitars. Your AL seems heavy.
    But - why does your shop not do refunds? Did you try it before buying or did you buy online?
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang