Majesty New Colors 2021

Thread: Changing Strings on a silhouette - is this video a good guide

User Info Menu

Changing Strings on a silhouette - is this video a good guide

I don't know if this doubles as a complaints forum - but searching for you tube videos on how to change strings I was surprised that Music Man had not produced it's own how to video on this- given it's strings business should someone be fired?. When I had to change strings on my acoustic they were all sorts of official videos from the likes of Martin Co, I think I even found a video of Bob Taylor himself changing the strings of a Taylor.

Anyway the nearest I could find is this video of someone unofficial changing strings on a Luke. Could anyone please tell me if this will be a sufficient guide - for some reason I am more nervous about it than when I restrung my acoustic - I think it is something to do with electricity - accidentally snipping a wire or something. Strings & Things - Part Two - How To Re - String Your Guitar - YouTube

User Info Menu

That's a valid point- EB could probably used a few "how to" videos on string changing. I suppose most folks know how to do this already, but it's definitely a good idea.

That video is good- just follow what he's doing. Note that you don't have to clean the fretboard each time, just once in a while.

Personally, I pull the strings tight before tightening the locking tuner. I'm aiming for a 90 degree angle on the post when it's tuned up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    That's a valid point- EB could probably used a few "how to" videos on string changing. I suppose most folks know how to do this already, but it's definitely a good idea.

That video is good- just follow what he's doing. Note that you don't have to clean the fretboard each time, just once in a while.

Personally, I pull the strings tight before tightening the locking tuner. I'm aiming for a 90 degree angle on the post when it's tuned up.
    Thank you. I don't think a how to video of how to change strings on an EBMM guitar(using Ernie Ball strings) would cost much more than one of their high end guitars. Even with a professional lighting cameraman, sound man and director you are looking at $1k each for a days filming(which is probably way more than necessary), obviously sound man should be competent but I would say the lighting cameraman/person would be the most important element of the mix.

User Info Menu

Ya know, you're right and I have been thinking about do a series of videos like that myself. And I've even tried two or three times to do a one take run through of what I'm doing is surprisingly hard to do well (or at least well enough that I'm happy with).

But also, Music Man guitars are no different to anything else out there. There are lots of excellent videos to choose from, there is no extra info to be added that's specific to Music Man, and I'm not really sure the world needs another from "just another guy" like me, especially when I have a new delay pedal to play with. (The Alexander pedals History Lesson v3 is most excellent, by the way).

Then again, my Silhouette Special is getting close to string change and neck oil and wax time. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I might have the time free on Friday morning.

I'M NOT MAKING ANY PROMISES THOUGH! OK?

Special requests? Is there anything missing from other videos? Things to focus on? Or not focus on? Should I wear a suit and tie? Hula skirt?
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

Hula Skirt or catsuit would be great.

You are probably right the world may not be crying out for another how to change strings video(although I would not necessarily have been aware that there was nothing specific about musicman).

I guess my point was from a marketing perspective if you are a company that makes guitars but is also big in the strings business a really well produced string change video looks like a perfect opportunity for placement - and I guess the silhouette would be an ideal specimen because i think it's shape is quite similar to Fender products.

Martin Co have certainly clocked this opportunity with their employees videos on string changes(using Martin strings of course.

Re focus I personally would like a lot of detail and close ups on how to attach the strings both to the bridge and tuning pegs. I think that's why a good cameraperson is important.