Flat Ribbon Patch Cables

Thread: JP15 cracked headstock.

User Info Menu

JP15 cracked headstock.

Hi.
    Did anyone notice this kind of crack on the headstock of JP15?

JP15 cracked headstock.-jp15-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

That's a join mark. Notice it's in exactly the same place as the end of rosewood fretboard on MM guitars? Unlike many other guitar makers, Music Man use one piece of maple for the necks, the fretboard is not a separate piece of maple. The neck blank is cut length ways, truss rod inserted, and then the same original piece of wood is glued back in place. Usually the grain matches up so well most people never notice the join until they look for it.

As join marks go, that is a lot more obvious than we usually see. Unless there is an obvious gap or signs of separation of the two pieces I don't think there is any structural issue to worry about. But do contact Music Man customer service for advice, just to be sure. Note that this is NAMM week and they will be exceptionally busy. If you still don't have a response by the end of next week, come back and let us know.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Hi.
    Thank you for quick answer . I have already investigated this including YouTube MM factory tour showing how it is made and like you said this is the join of two pieces but unfortunately the place there is cracked too. It is very tiny but is going right to the top part of the neck. I have send the message to customer service. The other photo showing this a bit better and more visible that this is not only the join under lacquer. Will let you know. Thank you.
    JP15 cracked headstock.-image0-jpg

User Info Menu

What a great reply ^^

This is why we love EBMM

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I had response from UK CS today. I believe it was sale person as it was pretty useless. Basically find luthier and ask him to fix it. Hm.....

User Info Menu

If you are in the UK or Europe and under warranty, then the store you bought from will take care of you. Otherwise, yes, you are on your own and even if you send it to EBMM it will be at your own cost, which with shipping costs would cost more than a good local luthier.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max666 View Post
    Hi,
    I had response from UK CS today. I believe it was sale person as it was pretty useless. Basically find luthier and ask him to fix it. Hm.....
    I too have not had good experience with UK customer service (Strings n Things)
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Hi,
    That's quite sad especially that this is not cheap guitar. I guess it is a kind of warning for the buyers in Europe that once the warranty is out you are on your own. Obviously I didn't expect MM to send me new guitar, but to have a kind of conversation about this issues. To find out if is common or something that should not happen etc. Why did it happen? anything? Maybe get the quote for new neck. Recently I had different problem with my other guitar and although I have bought it over 10 years ago the technical department handled the problem exceptionally well including sending the parts to replace the faulty ones. They could also say that is out of warranty so I'm on my own but the didn't. So it is kind of looking after old customers or just to focus on the new ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max666 View Post
    Hi,
    That's quite sad especially that this is not cheap guitar. I guess it is a kind of warning for the buyers in Europe that once the warranty is out you are on your own. Obviously I didn't expect MM to send me new guitar, but to have a kind of conversation about this issues. To find out if is common or something that should not happen etc. Why did it happen? anything? Maybe get the quote for new neck. Recently I had different problem with my other guitar and although I have bought it over 10 years ago the technical department handled the problem exceptionally well including sending the parts to replace the faulty ones. They could also say that is out of warranty so I'm on my own but the didn't. So it is kind of looking after old customers or just to focus on the new ones.
    If memory serves me correctly, England and Wales have six year warranty by law. Talk to the store you bought it from. Remember, in Europe and the UK your warranty is covered by the STORE you bought from, because you have a contract of sale with them, not with EBMM, and not with the UK distributor (who are wholesalers and have very little dealing with public). If this is a warranty issue, which it certainly seem to be, and not due to mishandling or fault on your part then the store has to make it right.
    Irish/American in Paris

User Info Menu

Hi,
    It is 12 months. Never mind. Although there is a disappointment and maybe warning for future before deciding which equipment to buy I will find the luthier and will fix it as suggested by UK amazingly helpful CS.

Anyway, Did anyone notice this kind of issue with MM guitars?

User Info Menu

"12 months. never mind"?

I think you misunderstood, I said 6 YEAR warranty in the UK. If it's only 12 months, you are well within warranty period. If it's a real crack or glue failure, the store is obliged to make it right.

This is not a common issue on MM guitars. many of us here on the forum have been part of this community for 10+ years. This is absolutely not a common thing at all.
    Irish/American in Paris

User Info Menu

Hi,
    Sorry just to clarify the warranty is 12 months in UK according to UK MM website. The guitar is from 2017 and I have bought it second hand but it should not make any difference if is second hand or brand new. Obviously if is still under warranty the repair if free of charge. If the warranty is out there will be repair cost obviously. This is applying to any goods you purchasing. Doesn't matter if is a second hand car or TV or any other item. The service will take care about it and it is happening with other guitars or instruments. But.. it looks like MM do not have any service in Europe so they are not interested to solve not new guitars problems. If is under warranty they will exchange it if is out of warranty you are on your own. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is how it looks like. Also please don't make me wrong I love the guitar and all about it other than the crack but I wasn't aware that the only way to handle the problem is to find myself someone to fix it.
    Thank you anyway.

User Info Menu

UK law takes precedence over what any website says. And again, your contract is not with EBMM its with your dealer. The European minimum that applied across the EU was 2 years but all countries could go further than that. England and Wales went 6 years. You are still under warranty. Contact your store!

Good luck!

Locking this discussion.
    Irish/American in Paris