Flat Ribbon Patch Cables

Thread: Adding push pull to HSS Silhouette Special?

User Info Menu

Adding push pull to HSS Silhouette Special?

Hi all, new owner of a EBMM Silhouette Special HSS. Absolutely loving the guitar, and for the first month or so did not miss access to the middle pickup alone, but would love to be able to re-introduce it.

I've searched the web for alternative wiring schemes but could not find much. Ideally I'd love access to 2 new sounds. 1st Middle Pickup alone with Silent Circuit, and 2nd would be to get access to the south coil of a split humbucker with Silent Circuit as well. I haven't the slightest of clue how to wire this up. I'm thinking the Fender S1 could be used, or push pulls. Here's an example of what I'd love:

S1 = Off (Factory)
    S1 = On Position 3 = middle only, 5 = bridge south only

or

VOL push/pull = pull would flip position 3 to middle from neck/bridge north
    TONE push/pull = pull would split position 5 to south coil of bridge

I am wondering if someone would be able to point me in the right direction of how to modify the wiring with the Silent Circuit in tact?

User Info Menu

It's certainly doable, though it's less complicated if you use the north coil of the bridge (furthest away from the bridge) when split in position 1, if you want to use the Silent Circuit.

I don't think you'll find any wiring diagrams for this sort of thing, but the logic isn't too difficult. Start with the stock wiring diagram (email MM CS for the right version matching your guitar).

User Info Menu

The S1 is a 4PDT, right? I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Do you have a schematic already? The silent circuit isn't difficult and it's already connected to the south pole of the humbucker in the stock wiring (though not actually used).
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, after a closer look it would appear some of the diagrams I've come across don't seem to jive. I'll reach out to MM to get the diagram and post back to share any questions I have before I jump in! I'm sure someone out there might be interested in doing the same thing to their HSS SS one day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richie1 View Post
    Thanks guys, after a closer look it would appear some of the diagrams I've come across don't seem to jive. I'll reach out to MM to get the diagram and post back to share any questions I have before I jump in! I'm sure someone out there might be interested in doing the same thing to their HSS SS one day!
    Richie, congrats man, nice to see another fellow Silo Special fan!!!! You got any pics?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I have three schematics. Run your serial number through the database, PM me with your email address and tell me when it was made and I can send you the right one.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I have three schematics. Run your serial number through the database, PM me with your email address and tell me when it was made and I can send you the right one.

Thank you! It's a 2008. Pics to come!