Thread: Lightweight trem block option '14 Silo Special

User Info Menu

Lightweight trem block option '14 Silo Special

Hi all,

Looking to see if there are any light(er)-weight trem blocks available for a '14 Silhouette Special. Nothing tonally wrong with the guitar (sounds great and well balanced), but is about 7.8lbs. It plays better than my '03 hardtail, though the weight becomes an issue after a while.

I did a cursory web search and forum search, but did not find anything specific. Appreciate any direction to companies or forum threads that address this.

Thanks and keep healthy.

User Info Menu

The obligatory proof of existence shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lightweight trem block option '14 Silo Special-f7294297-59b0-4f4a-b37f-6c50252acd6f-jpg  

User Info Menu

Well if memory serves me right the trem block is brass. You could have an aluminum one made at a local machine shop and that should help with the weight some.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Hi Glenn. It does have a brass block. I may try a wider, padded strap if there are no production blocks available.

It feels like the body might also be heavier than typical. Bought it as NOS and the store gave me a weight of 7.14 lbs. Though they may have meant 7 lbs 14 oz. That’s more in line with what the bathroom scale indicates.

User Info Menu

Bothered by a great playing/sounding guitar that weighs under 8 lbs...first world problems for sure.

User Info Menu

I'm sure that a deep search for an aluminum replacement might be found, I don't have any guitars with trems, but I'd say remove it, take some measurements and see. Someone once posted on here this site:

Upgrades – tagged "6-String" – Floyd Rose

I'm sure there must be others.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Iím sure Iím not the only one whoís asked the question here on the forums. Iíll go a huntiní over the next few days to see what I can discover.

Just took the easy road.

User Info Menu

I would gladly exchange one of my "light-weight" Sterling trem blocks for your MM brass block...even pay all shipping.
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail

2017 EBMM Silhouette - White - HSH/Trem - Maple/RW neck FOR SALE

20XX SbMM AX30D - Cherry Burst Quilt - HH FOR SALE
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut - HSH Mod - ever changing
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups
    2019 SbMM Axis - Black - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2015 SbMM Silo3 SUB - Black/Maple HSS

User Info Menu

PM sent.

User Info Menu

...and responded...
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail

2017 EBMM Silhouette - White - HSH/Trem - Maple/RW neck FOR SALE

20XX SbMM AX30D - Cherry Burst Quilt - HH FOR SALE
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut - HSH Mod - ever changing
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups
    2019 SbMM Axis - Black - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2015 SbMM Silo3 SUB - Black/Maple HSS

User Info Menu

Please remember that if anyone is thinking of trading trem block, measure, measure, measure! I almost certain that EBMM and SBMM trem blocks are not interchangeable. Also, note that if you switch from brass to aluminum you will save about 7oz (200 grams) in weight but not much more than that.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks for weighing in, Dr. Kev.

Good point on interchangeable blocks. This may come down to ‘love it or list it’. It plays really well, just heavier than I prefer. I’ve been spoiled by some ridiculously light project guitars in the past.

User Info Menu

My Silo Special weighs about the same but its still lighter than the strat I had before it so I have never thought about it!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service