Thread: Dang gas. Maybe it's time for a Luke, but which one?

User Info Menu

Dang gas. Maybe it's time for a Luke, but which one?

The tl:dr - I've caught Luke gas. There's a bfr Liii tumescent for a decent price. Are they that different from the standard Liii? Also, I've lusted after the neptune blue maple neck run for a long time. Should I just track one of those down? Do they pop up often?

-------
    Ramble ahead:

I joke that getting a silo as my first guitar 25 years ago was both a blessing and a curse. I can't think of many better ways to start out, but it took a seemingly endless amount of flipping a bunch of different brands to figure out:

a) ebmm necks are part of my DNA as a player. They feel like home.

And b) my limitations/suckage are not due to lack of gear. I should practice more.

So, this last year I sold off 6 of 12 guitars, and am down a hss silo special piezo, a hsh silo w trem, hsh hardtail silo, 2 prs, and a LP I keep for sentimental reasons.

Maybe time for something different?

I played a bfr Liii in the tumescent finish today. Nice guitar, killer player, but not the usual neck finish I'm used to.

Suggestions for a dyed in the wool silo player? What other models should I be keeping an eye out for? I tend to stay away from super thin/flat necks and prefer bodies with contours (that's not a total deal-breaker though).

Maybe the answer is "buy mor silhouettes."

Thanks for reading.

User Info Menu

The Bfr Tumescent is great but as you noticed it has a painted neck. To my knowledge the only Luke with a painted neck.

Maybe you should try a roasted maple one?

The L3 is my fav EBMM. Just love that soft V neck

User Info Menu

Did you ‘thin the herd’ to free up room/cash to buy more guitars?
    I agree with Keno that the Lukes have very comfortable necks and I, too, am a Silo Special owner. I actually prefer the Luke’s neck.

User Info Menu

The Tumescent is cooooooooollllllll
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keno View Post
    The Bfr Tumescent is great but as you noticed it has a painted neck. To my knowledge the only Luke with a painted neck.

Maybe you should try a roasted maple one?

The L3 is my fav EBMM. Just love that soft V neck
    I did notice the painted neck. It's still pretty smooth, but there is a bit of a difference compared to the usual finish. I do love the roasted necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Did you ‘thin the herd’ to free up room/cash to buy more guitars?
    Partially. We had some serious wildfires in Oregon, and my house almost burned down. When the evacuation ended, I did some serious reassessing of what I own and why. Lots of cool stuff that never got used got sold, and I'm still in the process of paring down. The big amps are gone too. I want less stuff to move if/when we eventually get out of here.

It's been pretty freeing actually.

Quote Originally Posted by TripHazard View Post
    The Tumescent is cooooooooollllllll
    It really is. I went to the shop to check out my old 20th Anni silo that I got from Glenn (was contemplating buying it back) and they had the Luke as well. It's a beauty.

User Info Menu

The LIII is a fantastic guitar and my favorite. Considering the EBMM neck is important to you, I would recommend staying away from the Tumescent and getting a regular LIII to start to see if you really like it. If so, you can always look for one of the BFRs, PDNs, etc. later. There have been a lot of cool wood combos and finishes like the Neptune Blue PDN once you zero in on what you really like. Enjoy!
    Starry Night LIII HH
    DuBaldo Blue LIII HH
    Bali Burst LIII HH
    some other LIIIs
    25th Anniversary