Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi and my Majesty

User Info Menu

Smile Hi and my Majesty

Hi all.
    Recently acquired first EB MM a 2016 Majesty in Polar Noir. Impressed for so many reasons... The action is fantastic (low & clean), massive DiMarzio fan already and I appreciate quality.
    So my first (and so definitely not my last MM has a couple of issues that I can live with but wonder whether anyone can offer some advice on please? The easy one is the oxidising black chrome but I can either ignore that or buy some new knobs.
    The tricky easy one is what is the polyurethane ( - I think?) lacquer on the fingerboard has come away and has an ugly cloudy air gap in. I see from other posts this isn't a one off but it looks like a bad case of it and I am wondering whether I can carefully repair it somehow? There's a hairline crack between the fretted surface of the fingerboard and the side and wondering whether just a tiny pin head of CA might seal it? It's largely cosmetic, I can't feel it and I might be able to ignore it but would be nice fix. Interestingly if I introduce moisture onto the crack the moisture makes it disappear perhaps suggesting it's a very thin gap.
    As I said I have seen others on here with bubbles around fret ends and understand this is likely wood shrinking back from the fret ends?
    Anyway that's very wordy but if anyone gets to the bottom and has words of wisdom to share that would be great.
    In every other way this is an outstanding and I am already eyeing up additions to my collection...

User Info Menu

Hello & welcome

Do you have pics ??? We need them because we want to see your guitar and it will be easier to see issues you are talking about.

User Info Menu

Appreciate the reply & interest. Attaching a small photo here that's hopefully clear enough.
    The lightened area where there is a bubble/gap actually varies depending on moisture so if I dampen it it gets much smaller. Kind of a weird effect but makes sense. In the photo its about average and at worst that whole area goes cloudy rather than black and becomes very noticeable,
    I would love to "fill" or seal it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi and my Majesty-laquereds-jpg  
    Last edited by StereoB; 02-07-2021 at 03:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Contact the EBMM Customer Service. They will offer the most appropriate guidance.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Customer Service contacted.
    I will see what they say.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Reply from Customer Services - summarise as follows -

Fret sprout which underneath a now slightly shrunken finger board delaminates the polyurethane finished fingerboard.
    So the frets sprout and take the lacquer finish away from the side edge of the ebony fingerboard and even if the fret sprout either resolves through acclimation (i.e. the fingerboard swells again) the delamination will stay looking rather ugly.

I don't think that's particularly great and this is clearly quite a common issue with the Majesty.

I own a MIM Strat with maple 'board - can see the same effect but that's a $600 guitar so no drama.

Are all Majesty fingerboards lacquer finished and not just bare ebony? I am not sure I would risk this much money on a instrument that could equally well deteriorate in this way.

Real shame - in every other way a great guitar.
    Last edited by StereoB; 02-11-2021 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Water thin Cyanoacrylate at the ends of the frets should move in by capillary action.

Do you know if the guitar was stored at the proper moisture levels? Fret sprout is somewhat common if a guitar is not stored correctly. It's not a cosmetic issue on guitars without finish or binding, but it still make playing uncomfortable, and at worst, cut your fingers.

With bound guitars, the binding cracks, and yes, you see it a lot on older and used guitars. On guitars with finished fretboard edges, it depends on the finish used. Nitro usually just cracks, while poly can lift.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Water thin Cyanoacrylate at the ends of the frets should move in by capillary action.

Do you know if the guitar was stored at the proper moisture levels?
    Thanks for the reply and yes I had specifically wondered whether CA glue might creep in and fill and seal the gaps. I am not sure there is much of a gap to creep into apart from the very fret end. Application could be a bit challenging tho....

As it was bought second hand I have no idea how it was stored. I imagine many wouldn't take much of an interest in that aspect of ownership. It is exceptionally dry here right now so am making an effort to bring RH up.

I hope I can find a Majesty with unfinished ebony - it's not clear from the www.

User Info Menu

Hello

We all love to have a "perfect" guitar. But keep in mind that if you play a lot your guitar, there will be some wear.
    For instance, my SUB :

Thus, if your Majesty plays and sounds the way you like, you will play it a lot and the neck will have some wear marks.

User Info Menu

Sound words fbecir and very much agreed. It has taken some hits already (from previous owners) and that's just fine but if I am thinking about the possibility ofthe purchase of a new Majesty at £££/$$$ then finding this out of the box does not sit well with me - and it has happened on new ones as delivered.
    And there will be plenty that are 100% - it's a lottery.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StereoB View Post
    I don't think that's particularly great and this is clearly quite a common issue with the Majesty.
    Sorry, no.

If it was clearly a common issue we would see it reported here often, just as you have. We have not seen it, and in fact I don't remember another one. So it's clearly NOT a common issue.

The good news is that a good luthier will be able to fix it for you. If you bought it from a dealer (you have consumer rights for 6 months in the UK even if you bought it used) go back and talk to them about it.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Sorry, no.

If it was clearly a common issue we would see it reported here often, just as you have. We have not seen it, and in fact I don't remember another one. So it's clearly NOT a common issue.

The good news is that a good luthier will be able to fix it for you. If you bought it from a dealer (you have consumer rights for 6 months in the UK even if you bought it used) go back and talk to them about it.
    Air bubbles? along fret edges of new Music Man Majesty 6

there's another one or two in here too.

User Info Menu

And fair enough "common" not a best description - we don't really know the number of instances - but it's more than me! :-)
    And remember it isn't new so there's not likely to be any recourse to unknown dealer 4 years ago !
    And maybe my Majesty was left in the sun and force dried out - I don't know ....

Believe me I hope it's highly uncommon as otherwise this is a great playing experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StereoB View Post
    And remember it isn't new so there's not likely to be any recourse to unknown dealer 4 years ago !
    I meant where you bought it from. (You said you recently acquired it, right?) If you buy a used guitar from a retailer, you still have coverage. They may be able to fix it for you (which could be at their cost) or give you a partial refund towards the cost of having it fixed. It's worth asking!

Consumer Rights on Second Hand Goods - Catalyst Law
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Might not be something you would want to do, but I’d perhaps ask a luthier to remove the lacquer on the edge, and perhaps then re-lacquer it. Not sure whether you would need to remove from whole finger board and relacquer it all... just a thought. Not my area of expertise in all honesty.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies