Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guitar action setup... the easy way!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    I like a low action with no string buzz. I use 9s if that makes any difference - what sort of measurements should I be able to achieve on my Cutlass or JP6? I guess it partly depends on how hard a player strikes the strings?
    I absolutely agree with DrKev's answer, guitar action is really subjective... the quality of the instrument (read: frets leveling) is very important, but if we pick really hard is nearly impossibile to have NO fret buzz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    I still don’t get how step 1 works - how do you gauge when the neck is flat ? Sorry for the total noob questions

Don't worry, the "noob questions" doesn't exists, there are only things we know and things we don't know!

you can evaluate the neck relief by putting a capo on 1st fret, then tap on 15-16th fret (it really depends from guitar to guitar). in the middle (7th-8th fret) you may notice a small gap. if you don't, your neck is perfectly straight or worse, it curves backward (and this is ALWAYS a bad thing).
    i'm recording a new video that clarifies some questions!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    I remember meeting up with Jonny Dubai, when I was in Dubai lol. A fantastic legatto, and tapping guitarist. He is an amazing player. I played his Axis and I wasn't able to do much on it. I'm a Kossoff kind of guitarist. It was set up for him .... so it's what we English say "Horses for Courses".
    A great video by the way and your English was fantastic - boy I wish I could speak a second/third language !

Thank you so much, i can teach you a little italian, if you like! =)

User Info Menu

thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timeblock View Post
    I absolutely agree with DrKev's answer, guitar action is really subjective... the quality of the instrument (read: frets leveling) is very important, but if we pick really hard is nearly impossibile to have NO fret buzz
    Couldn’t agree more with your and DrKev’s comments. Some folks seem to forget that it’s a metal string and metal frets with the string vibrating hundreds of times per second with only thousandths of an inch of space between the two when the guitar is set up with “low action”. If you can’t hear any buzzing when the guitar is amplified and you’re making music, play on!

User Info Menu