Thread: New Luke (to me) Gen2 & cavity question

User Info Menu

New Luke (to me) Gen2 & cavity question

Was originally going to post this in the “pics o’ my guitar thread”, but thought I’d start a new thread since I ramble a bit.

I’ve had two other 2nd gen Lukes over the years and bought a new LIII the first year they were offered in Bodhi Blue. As awesome as the LIII is, I’ve been missing the smaller body on the original Luke. I bought jptortor’s gorgeous Luke in the Lava Pearl color that he listed in the for sale thread. jptortor (Jason) is a great guy to deal with, BTW. We did a trade via the forum about 4 years ago!

The Lava Pearl color is awesome, much like any of the other Music Man pearl/flake finishes. The curvy Luke body shape really accentuates it; don’t think I’ve ever seen a color on a Luke body that I didn’t like.

This particular Luke came with a couple of upgrades. The bridge pickup was switched from the standard EMG 85 to a EMG 57 with exposed pole pieces. It’s been so long since I had a guitar with an 85 that I can’t recall how it sounds in comparison to the 57, but Ive got no complaints.

Second, the factory saddles have been swapped out with the locking Wilkinson saddles that have become pretty popular over the past couple of years. These are really well made; I’ve got an extra set that I ordered and tried out on a guitar for a while. Ended up trading that guitar off but I kept the Wilkinson saddles since they’re kind of hard to get right now. I’ve been meaning to swap those saddles over to one of my MM trem guitars but all of them seem to stay in tune just fine with the factory saddles!

First thing I did when I got the guitar was do the cap / resistor mod that Kimonostereo posted about several years ago. It lowers the volume of the bridge humbucker only in position 2 on the switch so that it blends with the middle pickup better for that “quack” sound. Did this on my last Luke as well; this should be a mandatory mod for all Luke owners!

Something I noticed while comparing the photo of my last Luke; the control cavity on this guitar (a 2007 model) is recessed. My last Luke was a 2011 and had the non-recessed control cavity with the textured metal cover. Anyone know roughly when the change to the non-recessed cavity happened? Was this across the entire line on other models? My 2000 Axis Sport has a recessed cavity as well.

Here’s a group shot of the stable.

Last edited by GoKart Mozart; 02-15-2021 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow nice congrats that's a great collection you've got there.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Sweet collection you’ve got there. I think you have the greatest Axis SS finish I’ve ever seen on that guitar.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TripHazard View Post
    Sweet collection you’ve got there. I think you have the greatest Axis SS finish I’ve ever seen on that guitar.
    Yup or the purple finish similar to that.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

That Luke is gorgeous. And holy smokes, that Axis is stunning!

I can't recall when the change happened- I've had a few that were recessed as well. I'm sure someone here can pin it down.

User Info Menu

I think the reason they stopped doing the recessed parts on the back were paint tolerance issues and burn through when doing final polishing. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall. As someone who has painted a body with those types of recessed parts, it can be an issue if paint goes on a little heavy. Fit can be an issue or cracks in the finish. It's also very easy to burn through the pain while color sanding and buffing those edges if you're not careful... or say, a robot was doing it.
    EVH - Blue Quilt
    1995 - Luke I - Pearl Blue
    2009 - 25th Anniversary
    2011 - Luke II - True Gold BFR
    2012 - Axis Tribute - Trans Pink
    2016 - Cutlass - Vintage Sunburst
    2017 - St. Vincent - Stealth Black

Take a break from playin' guitar and read a webcomic: nemu*nemu!

User Info Menu

Sucha great color. In fact that is a beautiful collection of guitars!

What's the resistor and cap on the switch? Is that the high pass/quack mod on position 2? I've tried that.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    I think the reason they stopped doing the recessed parts on the back were paint tolerance issues and burn through when doing final polishing. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall. As someone who has painted a body with those types of recessed parts, it can be an issue if paint goes on a little heavy. Fit can be an issue or cracks in the finish. It's also very easy to burn through the pain while color sanding and buffing those edges if you're not careful... or say, a robot was doing it.
    Really good point Kimonostereo, another point is that's a cnc operation, so it was probably a cost cutting measure as well.

GoKart, do you have the link (thread) for the cap/resistor mod? I've got a Silo Special project going for way, way, way too long that's putting the Luke EMG's in.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

I recall BP saying that the reason they stopped recessing the neck plates was that people would frequently overtighten them, leading to cracks in the paint. Perhaps they stopped this for a similar reason.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TripHazard View Post
    Thanks! I always dig the two BFR runs that they did in aqua quilt and purple quilt. It’s just an all around fantastic guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    GoKart, do you have the link (thread) for the cap/resistor mod? I've got a Silo Special project going for way, way, way too long that's putting the Luke EMG's in.

Glenn |B)
    Sure thing Glenn:

Mk Suhr mod for EMG 85 and mid pickup combination in a Luke II

-Jacob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart View Post
    Thanks! I always dig the two BFR runs that they did in aqua quilt and purple quilt. It’s just an all around fantastic guitar.

Sure thing Glenn:

Mk Suhr mod for EMG 85 and mid pickup combination in a Luke II

-Jacob
    Jacob, thanx man!!!!

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kimonostereo View Post
    It's also very easy to burn through the pain while color sanding and buffing those edges if you're not careful... or say, a robot was doing it.
    Definitely! Anytime you have a thin edge like that, there is an increased chance of having to do rework if something gets messed up. Don’t blame them at all for switching to the non-recessed cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    I recall BP saying that the reason they stopped recessing the neck plates was that people would frequently overtighten them, leading to cracks in the paint. Perhaps they stopped this for a similar reason.
    Good point, beej. I recently ran across a cool older Axis Sport MM90 nearby in the Pearl Purple color that had a recessed neck plate.Tried to work out a trade on it but no luck. It had some serious cracks on the back that lined up perfectly with a couple of the screws in the neck plate. What’s even worse is that the crack on the south end of the plate had extended onto the neck heel area where the paint isn’t as thick and had caused it to flake off exposing bare wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Luke (to me) Gen2 & cavity question-78e4bc15-30b6-43cb-b372-4d0899541c27-jpg   New Luke (to me) Gen2 & cavity question-b5ada04d-0a2e-43b7-83dd-b349031ba436-jpg  
    Last edited by GoKart Mozart; 02-16-2021 at 10:05 AM. Reason: .

User Info Menu

Look at that collection !!!!!!

That is exctly what I want someday very soon....as soon as my Son graduates college....

User Info Menu

That's one of the best colors I've ever seen on a Luke! I'm (Dargie) green with envy!
    Luke 2 Graphite Pearl MH
    Luke 2 Luke Blue
    Luke 2 BFR True Gold Rosewood
    JP6 Dragon's Blood Quilt
    JP6 White Pearl MH
    JP6 PDN Starry Night MH
    Stingray Short Scale Bass Starry Night
    Cutlass PDN Starry Night MH
    Cutlass Ghostwood
    Cutlass Black
    Valentine Saturn Gold
    Albert Lee BFR Sea Foam Sparkle MH