Thread: Y2D vs 20th anniversary silhouette

User Info Menu

Y2D vs 20th anniversary silhouette

Gday from down under, first time poster, long time lurker...
    I wanted to ask the brains trust on whether a trade for a Y2D w/floating trem to a 20th anniversary silo would be a fair trade or not, and pros and cons of the silo.
    I’m the lucky owner of the Y2D, but haven’t ‘fallen in love’ with it like I’d hoped.
    Thanks for your help in advance! 🤘

User Info Menu

Welcome!!!!

The 20th Anniversary Silo was the introduction of the mahogany tone block. Limited run in Carmel Burst. I had one myself, really nice guitars, but I didn't get on with it personally. The Y2D has more pickup selections, where as the 20th is a pretty basic setup.

Both are great guitars, I've never owned a Y2D, but they have always interested me. I'm sure other might be able to add to the little I have.

Are you able to try it?

Good luck with the choice.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

They're quite different guitars. The Silo has 24 frets and a fuller neck profile, body contours, 2 pickups, standard (non-locking) bridge, not to mention the difference in pickups and woods.

Both are really great instruments, so it's more a matter of preference than pros and cons.

Price-wise, they're probably the same ballpark.

User Info Menu

What beej said. If you have the luxury of laying hands on the Silo, all the better.

Big question to ask yourself is why the falling out? Is it the sound/tone, weight, balance, overall feel, looks, need/want different features? Silo looks greener on the other side of the fence?

Tone you can change, not so much the weight, neck profile or bridge hardware.

User Info Menu

Does the 20th Anniversary Silo have the Axis pickups in it? I seem to recall they were the ones chosen.

What part of the Y2D are you not "bonding" with? The bridge? The sound? The pickup options?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Does the 20th Anniversary Silo have the Axis pickups in it? I seem to recall they were the ones chosen.
    Yes I seem to remember the same thing.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

They are not the Axis pickups. I believe they're DiMarzio Virtual PAFs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    They are not the Axis pickups. I believe they're DiMarzio Virtual PAFs.
    Beej, to the rescue, nice, thanx for the correction.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

I have both, and tend to use the 20th Anny Silo more often (backup stage guitar and for drop-d). It is a hardtail model w/ piezo and sounds incredible for lower tunings like D-standard, drop-C, ect.

My y2d is a Floyd (dive-only, one of the very first shipped) and while it's a true rock machine it hasn't been fitting into the lineup much lately.
    Have you got G.A.S. for another EBMM???
    Visit the all new
    https://DUBALDOMUSIC.com! <--- My Store --->DuBaldo Music on Facebook & on twitter
    Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    pete@dubaldomusic.com <--- My email
    www.YELLOW9.com <--- My band

User Info Menu

The 20 anniv piezo Silo has an axis supersport switching system. I really prefer the standard silo piezo knob set up and placement
    The Silo (standard) and the y2d knob placement are perfect to allow for volume and tone knob swells while playing.
    To choose I would play both together and have some one else tell me which sounds better.
    I can't choose.
    93 Silhouette 96 Silhouette Recovered!2007.8.3 99 Silhouette Bass Guitar 00 Steve Morse 02 Sterling 02 Petrucci 02 Silhouette 04 Bongo 04 S.U.B. 05 Steve Morse Y2D 06 Silhouette 06 Petrucci 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 06 20th Anniversary Silhouette 07 7 String 10 Honey Burst Silhouette 11Black Sugar Silhouette 12 Ash Floyd Silhouette19 Bongo 6 Fretless BFR Double neck