Thread: I may sell some JPs. I have autographed backplates. Should I keep them?

User Info Menu

I may sell some JPs. I have autographed backplates. Should I keep them?

I have a few JP guitars. I may need to sell them.

They do have autographed (by JP, by the rest of DT) backplates, though.

If I sell, I see a few options:

1. Sell the guitars with the autographed backplates.
    2. Don't sell.
    3. Replace the backplates with new ones. Keep the original, autographed backplates. Sell the guitars.

What's your opinion on buying/selling autographed guitars? Can they command more money? Makes no difference? Decrease in value due to some illegible signatures in silver paint pen?
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Do they have value to you? (Personally I'm not a signature guy.) If so, keep them.

I'm not sure if they'll add to the price, but including them might make the guitars easier to sell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Do they have value to you? (Personally I'm not a signature guy.) If so, keep them.

I'm not sure if they'll add to the price, but including them might make the guitars easier to sell.
    Thanks for your perspective, beej.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

I think those would help them sell for sure! I'd include them, but only if you have something else autographed for your own collection.
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofreq View Post
    I think those would help them sell for sure! I'd include them, but only if you have something else autographed for your own collection.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Depends on the buyer. Some will care, some won't care at all. The signatures are YOUR memories, not their memories.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Depends on the buyer. Some will care, some won't care at all. The signatures are YOUR memories, not their memories.
    Yeah. I might replace those backplates for my own use and for the preservation of the autographs.

User Info Menu

I agree with purchasing new back plates for the guitars you want to sell. You can always offer to include the signed plates (for a slight fee) if you don’t want those particular items.
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    I agree with purchasing new back plates for the guitars you want to sell. You can always offer to include the signed plates (for a slight fee) if you don’t want those particular items.
    Yeah. I was thinking that might be a possibility.

User Info Menu

Hi there

As an enthusiastic buyer/owner of JP guitars, I have no interest in signed backplates. I would replace them and offer a signed one as an 'add-on' at additional cost if you want to sell and the buyer is interested.

What are you thinking of selling?
    COME ON YOU IRONS....

User Info Menu

I’d say it’s important if it’s a BFR version that included the signed plate already.
    JP15 Teal Flame
    Majesty BFR Dargie 3
    JP7 Desert Gold
    JPX Barolo
    Axis Super Sport Black Cherry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
    Hi there

As an enthusiastic buyer/owner of JP guitars, I have no interest in signed backplates. I would replace them and offer a signed one as an 'add-on' at additional cost if you want to sell and the buyer is interested.

What are you thinking of selling?
    Not sure if I'm going to sell any, actually. However, I may sell them all. JP6, no-option. BFR JP6 from 2007. Dargie 2 BFR JP6. JP13 7-string.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFactor View Post
    I’d say it’s important if it’s a BFR version that included the signed plate already.

Thanks.