Thread: EBMM Majesty: stiff bridge when reverse dive bombing

User Info Menu

Question EBMM Majesty: stiff bridge when reverse dive bombing

Hi everyone.

I have a EBMM Majesty in C standard, 10 high E gauge.

Today I changed the strings and I noticed that it feels like the bridge is blocked when I try to do a reverse dive bomb. This problem didn't exist before changing the strings.

When changing the strings I removed all of them to condition the fretboard, I used a piece of cardboard to block the bridge. The bridge was level after tuning to pitch, I haven't changed the tension of the trem springs so it is exactly like before changing the strings.

I uploaded a video here describing the problem: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Normal dive bomb is ok

Reverse dive bomb with forward trem arm doesn't go all the way but is feels blocked.

Reverse dive bomb with backward trem arm goes all the way, seems OK.

I appreciate all help I could get!

-------------------UPDATE------------------------

I think I know what the problem is.

I'm using the same string gauge I had when the guitar was on E standard. When tuning down to C standard I had to reduce tension from the trem claw to level the bridge. Hence, there is less range for reverse dive bomb. So, I think I have had this issue ever since I tuned down the guitar but I didn't notice it until I changed the strings and did a reverse dive bomb.

Does this make sense?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EBMM Majesty: stiff bridge when reverse dive bombing-20210305_213038-jpg   EBMM Majesty: stiff bridge when reverse dive bombing-1614976041581822339642235206059-jpg  
    Last edited by JJBC; 03-07-2021 at 02:42 AM. Reason: UPDATE

User Info Menu

Hard to tell from the video, but is there any chance the bridge isn't properly aligned with one or both of the trem posts? If all the strings were removed, the bridge would probably be loose enough to dislodge from them. The bridge's edge should fit snuggly in the notches of the posts and rest in place from the tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Tennessee View Post
    Hard to tell from the video, but is there any chance the bridge isn't properly aligned with one or both of the trem posts? If all the strings were removed, the bridge would probably be loose enough to dislodge from them. The bridge's edge should fit snuggly in the notches of the posts and rest in place from the tension.
    Hi!

I don't think so but maybe I just don't see it, I edited the post with pictures of the bridge. What do you think?

User Info Menu

I heard some "pings" when you were moving the bridge. You may be having movement of the strings over nut, which is binding to the new strings. There also can be movement over the bridge saddles.

Did you lubricate the saddle and nuts with anything when you replaced the strings???
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I heard some "pings" when you were moving the bridge. You may be having movement of the strings over nut, which is binding to the new strings. There also can be movement over the bridge saddles.

Did you lubricate the saddle and nuts with anything when you replaced the strings???
    Hi!

I lubricated the nut with big bend nut sauce but not the saddles, do you lubricate on the piezo element or behind it?