Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jp6 or silhouette?

User Info Menu

jp6 or silhouette?

Hi all,

I'm trying to make up my mind on settling for either a JP6 or Silhouette. Both are not an option, unfortunately ...
    I want a versatile, all-round guitar, with nice, (warm) cleans, and if possible a good heavy (lead) sound, although I have other options for that (Jackson RR1 (hh), Jackson Dinky (hss), Hamer Centaura (hss)).
    I want this guitar to be my main study/practice guitar (jazz, country, chords, scales, techniques, and if possible, shred). I'd preferably have a non-floating trem on this guitar, but it's not the most important feature. My first choice was a Silhouette, with the versatile HSH configuration, but I read that the JP6 also has nice 'inbetween' sounds, and can handle a lot of styles.

My question to you, without taking the shred part too explicitly into account, convince me of choosing one or the other
    Suggestions for changing pickups in either guitar to conform to my demands are also welcome.

Need more info? Shoot!

thanks
    Last edited by furor; 03-10-2021 at 08:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Like you said, you can swap pickups at any time.

JP6.

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

The Silo is an extremely versatile guitar. Even with the stock pickups, it can do just about everything from jazz to rock, to shredding. You also won't get the REAL single coil sound anywhere on a JP6. This video honestly should tell you everything you need to know:

10 Dorian Licks (PDF with TABS and backing track) - YouTube
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

They're both great guitars. The Silhouette has the advantage of a non-floating trem, and more flexibility for pickup swaps. But either could be great.

That said, there's a huge difference between the neck profiles. In your shoes, I'd see if I could try both and pick the one that felt most comfortable in my hands.

User Info Menu

The JP6 is a fantastic guitar. That said, it is definitely specialized. If you feel like swapping pickups, it can do pretty much anything, but I think the silhouette sounds like a better fit for your stated needs.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Starry night born 2/6/17
    Some other guitars

User Info Menu

Do you own those other options (Jackson, Hamer) or are they alternatives to a Music Man purchase? If you own them already, then a hardtail Silhouette HSH perhaps.

As beej wrote, laying hands on them may help you with your decision. The neck profiles feel quite different, indeed.
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Silo all the way especially for what you want it for, covers all that.

And if you can get one of these do it!! Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette HSH BFR Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Do you own those other options (Jackson, Hamer)
    I do!

The JP6 is a fantastic guitar. That said, it is definitely specialized. If you feel like swapping pickups, it can do pretty much anything, but I think the silhouette sounds like a better fit for your stated needs.
    what pickups would you then suggest?

So far, the Silo seems to win

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sweat View Post
    Silo all the way especially for what you want it for, covers all that.

And if you can get one of these do it!! Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette HSH BFR Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend
    link is dead, I think. It's headphone

User Info Menu

Still recommend laying hands on either a Silhouette or Silhouette Special to see if you like the neck shape. Your guitars have flatter fretboard radii, wider nut widths and thinner neck profiles (generalizing) compared to the Silhouette.

Just thinking out loud, but could you turn your Jackson HSS into an HSH using a single coil sized rail pickup in the neck (DiMarzio Pro Track, Satch Track, and the like)?
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Horses for courses. My choice would be the Silo. Why?
    I had a JP6 - just couldn't get on with the neck profile which cramped my forearm up.
    The Silo will cover all your bases.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Still recommend laying hands on either a Silhouette or Silhouette Special to see if you like the neck shape. Your guitars have flatter fretboard radii, wider nut widths and thinner neck profiles (generalizing) compared to the Silhouette.

Just thinking out loud, but could you turn your Jackson HSS into an HSH using a single coil sized rail pickup in the neck (DiMarzio Pro Track, Satch Track, and the like)?
    It already is. Currently I have a SD Custom, cool rails and hotrails (neck), but I'm not satisfied about the rails. I like the custom, but would want to try a PAF Pro or Super distortion, and an Air Norton in the neck. It's a full flamed maple body, though, and I find it hard to find good sounding pickups. But this guitar has other purposes than the EBMM I'm looking for.
    I do am curious about a JP6, though, but I will likely opt for a Silo, which was my first thought.
    The Hamer does have a relatively thick neck. I expect a Silo to have something similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furor View Post
    I do!

what pickups would you then suggest?

So far, the Silo seems to win
    Maybe some PAF type Dimarzios or SDs, if they fit. I have not swapped pickups on mine because I use it for the metal/Petrucci sound. I donít like buying guitars knowing I will likely switch the pickups, which is why I would think the Silo is a better choice.
    JP6 Pearl White born 1/11/11
    Majesty Monarchy Imperial Blue born 1/23/18
    Cutlass SSS Starry night born 2/6/17
    Some other guitars

User Info Menu

What sound profile are you looking for? Single-coil strat-type?

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furor View Post
    link is dead, I think. It's headphone
    Strange link works for me, just go to MF and look at their EBMM collection, this is an awesome Silo