Thread: Brand new St. Vincent, pickup not centered

User Info Menu

Question Brand new St. Vincent, pickup not centered

I purchased a new St. Vincent Music Man all the way from Germany (I'm in California... ironic, I know). I'd been looking for an all rosewood neck for some time and finally found just the one I wanted.

It looks like the middle pickup isn't quite centered correctly in the cavity. There's also some occasional buzzing (only notice when not plugged in). Not a huge deal, but I'm wondering if the buzzing might be related to the pickup not being centered properly?

Any quick way to fix the alignment? Do I need to remove the pickguard and see what's going on underneath?

Photos:

iCloud

iCloud
    Last edited by pollux; 03-15-2021 at 05:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Just spitballing here, but it looks like the pickup is angled down a bit. Maybe the screws aren’t in the pickup claws straight?

As for the buzzing, is it possibly fret buzz? Has the guitar been properly set up since you received it?
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Most of the pictures I have seen of the St. Vincent have the pickups slightly off center, which is unfortunately hard to prevent with a two point mounting system. They are held on by two screws and springs or rubber tubing, which sometimes just goes which ever way it wants. Also the wiring on the pickup can also pull it out of center.

This isn't really a new thing. It's just part of the limitations of a two point pickup mounting design. I have seen some makers (Hamer) that would put foam under pickups in some models to keep them more stable.

With a mini humbucker design, I doubt it has any influence on the sound.

If you want to see some horror inducing photos, just google "Gibson Sg Standard Pickup Slant".
    Last edited by tbonesullivan; 03-15-2021 at 06:40 AM.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Hello & welcome

For the buzz, you just need to adjust a bit the truss rod with the wheel.
    For the middle humbucker, I agree with tbonesullivan : it does not change the sound.

User Info Menu

I'd use a little foam to recentre it.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for all the responses! I should take it for a proper setup. Only just got here a few days ago!

Regarding the buzzing, I'm relatively confident it's the pickup as it stops buzzing if I hold my pinky on it when playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    Thanks so much for all the responses! I should take it for a proper setup. Only just got here a few days ago!

Regarding the buzzing, I'm relatively confident it's the pickup as it stops buzzing if I hold my pinky on it when playing.
    Have you tried tightening the screws? Maybe one worked its way loose.

User Info Menu

I tightened the screws on the center pickup and it moves up/down on both screws. Assuming that means the screws are in correctly?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pollux View Post
    I tightened the screws on the center pickup and it moves up/down on both screws. Assuming that means the screws are in correctly?
    Yep. I would assume they have springs, and those can unfortunately sometimes vibrate.

User Info Menu

I’m not so convinced anymore that it’s the center pickup alignment that’s causing the buzzing. It seems to have gotten louder and I think it’s the pick guard vibrating. I tried tightening all the screws but doesn’t seem to have had any effect.

Here’s a video: iCloud

FYI I have reached out to Ernie Ball support about this, waiting to hear back.