Thread: Saddle wear off

User Info Menu

Question Saddle wear off

It looks like the saddles of my Majesty are wearing off, is this normal? I've had this guitar 6 months now. Is it possible that the saddle breaks completely? How can I solve this?

I attach a picture here Worn off saddle? - Album on Imgur
    MAJESTY Red Phoenix
    MAJESTY Purple Nebula

User Info Menu

Hello

If you play your guitar, it is normal that some wear marks will appear.
    Here are the saddles of my 20 years old Morse :

With piezo, perhaps one day you will have to change the saddle. But in your case, I think it is just cosmetic. It just proves that you play your guitar and that is a good thing !

User Info Menu

Did you try cleaning them? It almost looks like they are being subjected to acid. Do you have acidic sweat? Some people do and it can eat right through the plating on most guitar hardware.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Did you try cleaning them? It almost looks like they are being subjected to acid. Do you have acidic sweat? Some people do and it can eat right through the plating on most guitar hardware.
    Hi!

I don't know if I have exactly "acidic sweat" but I so sweat sometimes when playing.

How can I clean the saddles? I usually wipe them off with a microfiber cloth, do I need to buy an especial product?
    MAJESTY Red Phoenix
    MAJESTY Purple Nebula

User Info Menu

When I got a Les Paul in 1974, the gold plating was wearing a heck of a lot within the first 12 months.
    Acidic sweat ? I've no idea if this would work .... it certainly won't harm your guitar ..... put some naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) on a cloth and wipe off after each play.
    Whatever happens.... whether this resolves your issue or not, I'm sure that you will be able to get replacements from the good people at Ernie Ball.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    When I got a Les Paul in 1974, the gold plating was wearing a heck of a lot within the first 12 months.
    Acidic sweat ? I've no idea if this would work .... it certainly won't harm your guitar ..... put some naptha (Zippo lighter fluid) on a cloth and wipe off after each play.
    Whatever happens.... whether this resolves your issue or not, I'm sure that you will be able to get replacements from the good people at Ernie Ball.
    Gold hardware is the bane of my guitar existence. It doesn't matter what kind of sweat you have, it wears off within a year or two. Some people love that worn look. I DO NOT. I want my gold hardware to be GOLD.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmurphy View Post
    Thank you!
    MAJESTY Red Phoenix
    MAJESTY Purple Nebula