Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Updated description copy on the St Vincent page

  1. #31

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, I wonder if these are voiced like GFs or just share the aesthetics. No huge loss on the All-3 thing, imo. Yeah, it's Stratty, but also a little congested.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    oooh! "Custom Music Man Gold Foil Mini Humbuckers". Also, looks like the control layout is a standard 3 pickup type, so no "all three together" position.

  2. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    Yeah, I wonder if these are voiced like GFs or just share the aesthetics. No huge loss on the All-3 thing, imo. Yeah, it's Stratty, but also a little congested.
    I have a Carvin Bolt that has the "all three" option, which I think I use once every few years. I never really found it useful. Just too broad of a coverage of the strings.

    Neck and bridge though, that I use all the time. Cluck cluck.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  3. #33

    User Info Menu

    I like the all three with fuzz. It's a sound to use if you want to experiment, but not if you're going for something conventional and well worn.

    I'm not in love with the Goldie model, but I doubt they'll have any trouble selling them out. I sure love my Polaris White/rosewood neck St. Vincent and my Charcoal Sparkle St. Vincent HH.

  4. #34

    User Info Menu

    not gonna lie if these were the same $2499 the standard model is id probably have already ordered the red. that $3k just gives me enormous pause. hoping a color im into sticks around into sale territory. current used hhh models in the coolest colors (red, sunburst with gold, any transparent) are impossible to find

  5. #35

    User Info Menu

    I glanced at the replies on social media and it, predictably, took all of five seconds to find both the "this person doesn't deserve a signature guitar" guy and the " what if I want to play fret 20" guy.

    The first... Whatever. Sour grapes and likely a fair dose of misogyny.

    The latter really seems to stem from sheer imagination. Even setting aside the gross overestimation that most players make about how often they need access to the highest frets, IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Like, just how trumpian are your fingers, my man? I own six electrics: a Tele, a Les Paul, a Flying V, a Danelectro 59, a cheap thinline hollowbody singlecut, and the St Vincent. No, it's not a Parker Fly or other deep double cutaway, but it hangs just fine with all of those traditional designs when it comes to reaching the dusty end. Better than most of them, tbh, because of the heel sculpting. I'm reaching around a much larger chunk of wood on my V.

    I have to assume that most of these complaints are coming from people who haven't actually played one.

  6. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    I have to assume that most of these complaints are coming from people who haven't actually played one.
    Almost certainly. Plenty of people have been playing them without issue, as well as other guitars with more pronounced upper fret access problems.

    I also am really not happy with the amount of hate directed towards St Vincent. So what if she's not a shredder or guitar god. She plays guitar, makes interesting music, and definitely is very talented.

    Personally, I like the colors and vibe of the original 3 H model, but that's just me. I also am just not a fan of this type of retro palette in general. Now if one was in some type of seafoam green color, then things would be different.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  7. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Personally, I like the colors and vibe of the original 3 H model, but that's just me. I also am just not a fan of this type of retro palette in general. Now if one was in some type of seafoam green color, then things would be different.
    You never know there could be a BFR at some point.

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  8. #38

    User Info Menu

    Honestly... I love the Goldie and I'm getting one hopefully!
    2019 LIII in Firemist Purple
    2020 LIII in Bodhi Blue
    2020 LIII in Fuchsia Sparkle


  9. #39

    User Info Menu

    Looks like the Goldies are available in the Vault as of right now.

    Shop Ernie Ball Music Man - The Vault

    Glenn |B)
    Last edited by GWDavis28; 04-05-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  10. #40

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    I glanced at the replies on social media and it, predictably, took all of five seconds to find both the "this person doesn't deserve a signature guitar" guy and the " what if I want to play fret 20" guy.

    The first... Whatever. Sour grapes and likely a fair dose of misogyny.

    The latter really seems to stem from sheer imagination. Even setting aside the gross overestimation that most players make about how often they need access to the highest frets, IT'S NOT THAT HARD. Like, just how trumpian are your fingers, my man? I own six electrics: a Tele, a Les Paul, a Flying V, a Danelectro 59, a cheap thinline hollowbody singlecut, and the St Vincent. No, it's not a Parker Fly or other deep double cutaway, but it hangs just fine with all of those traditional designs when it comes to reaching the dusty end. Better than most of them, tbh, because of the heel sculpting. I'm reaching around a much larger chunk of wood on my V.

    I have to assume that most of these complaints are coming from people who haven't actually played one.
    That seems highly, highly likely.

    And I agree - I don't go up that high that often, and my St. Vs are no less comfortable up there than most guitars I play and own.

    She can in fact shred. Nobody is obligated to like her music. The detractors who claim she doesn't deserve the model are delusional.

  11. #41

    User Info Menu

    couple things since I was the lead on this with Annie....Understand that it is human nature to resist change. We expect it.
    2 Social media is on borrowed time...seriously too much venom and needless judgement , lack of due process

    heres where I sit...Everyone gets their opinion. Some are true buyers..some are people who will never buy a elevated made in usa guitar. It's a venom outlet.

    If we took something away I would understand just a little...but yesterday was still easter and you will still hopefully have your birthday and there is another choice for guitarists.

    So on the guitar...I couldnt be more excited at the team....the pickups are so good and I think the sonics will in the end drive this guitars success.

    On the price...I dont want to argue about this...but we cant make guitars at the old prices....everything has gone up so much. Making semi custom guitars and paying a living wage makes these prices what they are.
    Two requests, please
    Please contact customer service prior to posting instrument issues
    Please don't PM me
    Thanks

    Please dont add me as a friend on facebook....my life is an open book here as it is.

  12. #42

    User Info Menu

    I have to admit, when the first St. Vincent model came out, I had no idea who Annie Clark was, and had never heard her music.

    I looked into her at the time and thought she was quirky and different, but cool. Over the last few years, her music has really grown on me, and I've been extremely impressed with her thoughtful and articulate responses in interviews. I'm a fan. And now I find myself really into her guitars as well, and hope to try one out once things open up a bit more.

    "Sell your own myth, but never buy it." – Annie Clark

    That is some serious wisdom.

    I'm LOVING the reversed headstock on the new model. With the pickguard, it has almost a Firebird-esque vibe. Interesting that she's now gone to a more conventional 5-way switching scheme.
    Last edited by darren; 04-05-2021 at 01:52 PM.

  13. #43

    User Info Menu

    Are the pickups voiced like Gold Foils or is that just an aesthetic thing? Or, I suppose more generally, how do these new pickups differ from the Dimarzio pups in the og HHH?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    So on the guitar...I couldnt be more excited at the team....the pickups are so good and I think the sonics will in the end drive this guitars sucess

  14. #44

    User Info Menu

    I love the the headstock; a smidge more ambivalent on the pickguard - it def evokes the Firebird, which dials up the 70s vibe, but I like the original one too.

    All in all, I'm... interested, but not totally sold, if only because when I showed it to my wife and said "I may need one of these" she answered "you already have one."

    Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post

    I'm LOVING the reversed headstock on the new model. With the pickguard, it has almost a Firebird-esque vibe. Interesting that she's now gone to a more conventional 5-way switching scheme.

  15. #45

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Anacharsis View Post
    She can in fact shred. Nobody is obligated to like her music. The detractors who claim she doesn't deserve the model are delusional.
    I think the haters also have this view that only folks who demonstrate absolute mastery of the guitar (usually by shredding) should have/deserve a signature model (to say nothing of sexism...). I imagine we can all think of people who are virtuosic, but don't have a signature model.

    The problem is, these people don't understand the point of a signature model - it's marketing, pure and simple. A manufacturer decides to make a signature model because the player in question has a following, and giving them a signature model will likely translate into more guitar sales. That's it. Proficiency really is incidental. You don't get handed an endorsement deal, let alone signature model, just because you can shred better than Yngwie Malmsteen if no one knows who you are.

    So I'm not misunderstood, I'm not commenting on St. Vincent's guitar chops. I haven't listened to enough of her material to judge. But she's undeniably creative, and has worked hard pursuing her passion to build a fan base. I'm glad to see that spilling over into some creative thinking in guitar design - I think we can all benefit.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums