VPJr Tuner
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: Updated description copy on the St Vincent page

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Updated description copy on the St Vincent page

    Just noticed this today, after EBMM tweeting out a link:

    The St. Vincent signature guitar features a lightweight Okoume body, premium roasted maple neck with rosewood, ebony or maple fretboard. The roasted maple neck is highly figured and is adorned with St. Vincent signature custom inlays. Specially configured electronics package includes 3 Dimarzio mini-humbuckers with 5-way pickup selector for a unique offering of tonal options.

    First mention I recall seeing of the St. Vincent switching to an Okoume body* or having an all-roasted maple neck and fretboard.


    *-My 2016 STV balances fine, but is on the heavier side of things (closer to 8lbs than 7 1/2) so I do worry a *little* about how going to a lighter body might affect things on a model that people often say suffers from neck dive.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    I'm pretty sure that they have had roasted maple necks for a while now. The pictures up are from last year, and they all show a maple neck.

    The bodies I believe have always been "African Mahogany" or "Okoume".
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Khaya is African Mahogany. Okoume is wayyy lighter. Check out a Mariposa.

    And the St Vincent definitely hasn't had maple *fretboards* before.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they have had roasted maple necks for a while now. The pictures up are from last year, and they all show a maple neck.

    The bodies I believe have always been "African Mahogany" or "Okoume".

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    Khaya is African Mahogany. Okoume is wayyy lighter. Check out a Mariposa.

    And the St Vincent definitely hasn't had maple *fretboards* before.
    "African Mahogany" is a trade name, as there is no such thing as an African species of true Mahogany. Like Suhr, EBMM used to call Okoume African Mahogany. They have confirmed this many times, even on this very board.

    Albert Lee HH with Okoume body? Differences?
    Last edited by tbonesullivan; 03-24-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    First I've heard of that, and your link seems to be busted, but I'll take your word for it.

    It does make me wonder why the Mariposas are so crazy light, though.

    If nothing else, this is still updated copy, because that page used to call it "African Mahogany." And, again, because of the explicit mention of maple fretboards.

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    "African Mahogany" is a trade name, as there is no such thing as an African species of true Mahogany. Like Suhr, EBMM used to call Okoume African Mahogany. They have confirmed this many times, even on this very board.

    Albert Lee HH with Okoume body? Differences?

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    First I've heard of that, and your link seems to be busted, but I'll take your word for it.

    It does make me wonder why the Mariposas are so crazy light, though.

    If nothing else, this is still updated copy, because that page used to call it "African Mahogany." And, again, because of the explicit mention of maple fretboards.
    Weird. Works for me. The maple fretboard definitely is a new one, but the maple necks aren't. I guess we'll see what they put out later in 2021.

    forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/69559-albert-lee-hh-okoume-body-differences.html
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    You need the https:// in front of the link.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    looks like she posted an instagram of some new colors, reverse headstock (a couple matching) and a half pick guard.

    Login • Instagram
    Last edited by davideotape; 03-30-2021 at 05:06 PM.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu



    Looks like gold, red and maybe dark blue or purple?

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Came here to post that pic. Dig the new pickguard shape!
    Last edited by St_G; 03-30-2021 at 08:12 PM.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    New one looks killer. Gold looks a bit like my BFR which is trans gold
    EDIT now I see it on a big screen it looks more like full on gold rather than a trans finish
    Last edited by TripHazard; 03-31-2021 at 05:09 AM.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud



    https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...april-22-2021/

    https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

    Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    Came here to post that pic. Dig the new pickguard shape!
    Oh yah good eyes, I totally missed that. I would think if she's showing pics that something might drop/get updated soon.

    Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]


    Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Oooo. Those look nice. Has anyone ever confirmed what the inside of the pickups are constructed like? Are they firebird style pickups with bar magnets inside coils, or are they just covered narrow PAF style pickups?

    Those are definitely some nice colors.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    They're regular minibuckers and, imo, offer remarkably little variety for a three-pickup guitar. Paired with the 250k pots, you've got in instrument that can be a little dull at lower gain (unless you eq the living crap out of it), but holds together EXTREMELY well under gobs of distortion. I've yet to find a setting that can overpower the string-to-string separation or introduce grating, harsh frequencies that jump out. Everything is very controlled and that's really the only reason I've kept mine totally stock. I'd be mighty interested to add another one and swap in some brighter pups (or just 500k pots).

    Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Oooo. Those look nice. Has anyone ever confirmed what the inside of the pickups are constructed like? Are they firebird style pickups with bar magnets inside coils, or are they just covered narrow PAF style pickups?

    Those are definitely some nice colors.
    Last edited by St_G; 03-31-2021 at 01:35 PM.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by St_G View Post
    Came here to post that pic. Dig the new pickguard shape!
    Happy to say goodbye to that nurses cap pickguard! I have always wanted a St.V without the pickguard. I wonder if there's still a big route under the pickguard -- because I would remove it.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ernie Ball Forums