Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBMM guitar buying advice, alternative to St Vincent HH

User Info Menu

EBMM guitar buying advice, alternative to St Vincent HH

I'm in the market for another guitar, my main workhorse is a St Vincent HHH stealth black, modded for 500k pots. I was going to get an HH model, as the St Vincent quickly became my favorite guitar I've ever played, though I'm now finding I need something else that allows for greater upper fret access. Left to my own devices, you might call me an art rock guy-I move between doom, ambient, modern jazz, and dark pop. Pro-wise, I play in a soul band and a Prince tribute.

So, I'm looking for something, preferably Humbucker based for access to fatter, warmer mid-range tones, but with middle positions that can get really snappy and bright for classic Prince/Nile Rodgers style funk, preferably a 5 way selector. Basically, a substitute for the St Vincent HH, one that has more open high fret access. Currently considering the Silhouette HSH and the Albert Lee. Anything else that might compare? Luke? Steve Morse? Stingray RS?

User Info Menu

I’d say find a Reflex. Warm, but incredibly open and responsive.
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

you know what I'm gonna say...

Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

The Silhouette gives you that single coil spank in position 3, plus you get those classic ‘in between’ tones from positions 2 and 4. With its deeper lower cutaway and 24 frets, you get easy access to the upper frets. HSH without any mods. Choice of hardtail or tremolo bridge.

Ticks many boxes.
    Last edited by Pink; 03-29-2021 at 04:13 AM.
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

How about the Valentine - very versatile guitar
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

There is a Silo Special on Reverb right now that looks like a modded version that's HH. There are also HH version Silo's with a Floyd rose on Reverb as well.

Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special HH (CUSTOM) 2013 Surf | Reverb

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post

What?! What are you going to say???

"If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

black sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fogman View Post
    What?! What are you going to say???

Foggy, he's saying he loves JP's of course (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA)!!!!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I do! I have a JP6 and a first run Majesty, and they are both fabulous!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post

Love that collection. Wow.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

The sky blue one, in particular, kills me. So nice.

User Info Menu

Maybe an AL, a JP, or a Majesty?

User Info Menu

Thank you, everyone! I tried an HSH Silo, couldn't bond with the 24 fret neck p/u tone, so I got an Albert Lee HH, and holy Moses, that was the ticket. Amazing instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post

Cool guitar, but that price! OUCH.
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofreq View Post
    Cool guitar, but that price! OUCH.
    Yah there are a lot of cool guitars on Reverb, but people have them at insane prices in mu opinion.

Glenn |B)