Thread: NGD Silo + wiring

User Info Menu

NGD Silo + wiring

Hi all,

I finally have my first EBMM, a Silo. Thicker neck than anticipated, but comfortable. Love the (rosewood) fretboard. Very smooth playing. I need to get used to the 'smaller' size.
    I'm thinking of adding an option to split the humbuckers using a P/P or mini toggle, and I took a look under the hood. I am told that it are not the original elements, although a previous owner put back the same type in a later stage. Not entirely convinced of the virtual PAFs, particularly the bridge. The middle position is loud, while positions 2 and 4 are disproportinoally quiet and position 2 is very shrill.

So I had a look, and apparently it has a super switch (is this common in Silos?). First time I laid my eyes on one. The wiring is not what I expected.
    position 1 = bridge
    2 = (full) bridge + SC
    3 = both humbuckers (full)
    4 = single coil
    5 = neck

Could it be that the bridge and SC are out of phase? Hence the very silent and trebly output?

I do like the sound of both humbuckers together, although I want to split them (single coils), have an autosplit in positions 2 and 4, and also have the possibility to use the outer coils of both humbuckers together (tele style).
    Can I use a toggle switch to select either one of the 'blades/sides/poles' of the super switch? I guess I need to connect the commons to the mini toggle?
    One side would then be the 'default' HSH with autosplit in positions 2 and 4, while split humbuckers each, split outer coils together, and 2 humbuckers in parallel would be wired on the second side.
    Does this make any sense?

In addition, how do you remove the pickguard without having to restring the guitar each time?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

That is not the stock pickup wiring scheme. Should be:

1 = bridge (both coils)
    2 = one coil of bridge + middle SC
    3 = middle SC
    4 = one coil of neck + middle SC
    5 = neck (both coils)

Quote Originally Posted by furor View Post
    Could it be that the bridge and SC are out of phase? Hence the very silent and trebly output?
    Sounds like a likely culprit.

In addition, how do you remove the pickguard without having to restring the guitar each time?
    If you're VERY careful you can dive-bomb the trem and make the strings slinky enough to get the pickguard out. I usually lift it up by the knobs and slide a polishing cloth under as far as I can so avoid the pickup screws scratching the paint.

Last edited by dibart77; 03-31-2021 at 03:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks!
    I just take the strings out of the tuners. Locking tuners make it easy to put them back.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    I just take the strings out of the tuners. Locking tuners make it easy to put them back.
    Don't they tend to break faster then at the 'clasp'. And you don't make a turn when they're pulled through the hole and leave sufficient of string passed the hole?

I saw that there's plenty of space to have different combinations of pickups. I might wire 1 or 2 extra pickguards. There's a molex or what's it called

I do have to retune it often though.

User Info Menu

Enjoy your new beauty, congratulations!!

JPXI Cardinal Red G57082
    JP12 Cherry Sugar G59225
    JP12 7 Cardinal Red F29322
    MAJESTY Glacial Frost M08083
    MAJESTY Ferrari Rosso M07113
    ARTISAN MAJESTY 7 Rosso M04775
    NOMAC MAJESTY Timeworn Matte Silver M06246
    MAJESTY Charred Silver Sparkle M08237
    MAJESTY Dargie 3 M08360
    MAJESTY Gremlin Green M0????

User Info Menu

Do a quick web search for “HSH with coil split wiring diagrams”. I found a schematic for:
    1. bridge HB; coil split with push/push
    2. bridge HB split + middle
    3. bridge HB + neck HB; coil split both with push/push
    4. middle + neck HB split
    5. neck HB; coil split with push/push

I think that’s what you are going for. If I was a little more tech savvy, I’d place the link here.
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Do a quick web search for “HSH with coil split wiring diagrams”. I found a schematic for:
    1. bridge HB; coil split with push/push
    2. bridge HB split + middle
    3. bridge HB + neck HB; coil split both with push/push
    4. middle + neck HB split
    5. neck HB; coil split with push/push

I think that’s what you are going for. If I was a little more tech savvy, I’d place the link here.
    You mean this one?

Pickups wiring: HSH autosplit with a standard 5-way switch (with optional coil split push/pull) – ♫ Daniele Turani ♪

I haven't seen any pictures yet??

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    I haven't seen any pictures yet??
    Yeah... it doesn't exist until we see photos...

User Info Menu

Yeah, Glenn. That’s the one. I think that’s what furor was shooting for.

Thanks.
    2000 Silo Special hardtail
    2003 SOLOuette Special hardtail

User Info Menu

Askers gonna ask ...

NGD Silo + wiring-silo-jpg
    NGD Silo + wiring-silo_body-jpg
    NGD Silo + wiring-silo_head-jpg

User Info Menu

Askers gonna ask ...
    NGD Silo + wiring-silo-jpg

NGD Silo + wiring-silo_body-jpg

NGD Silo + wiring-silo_head-jpg
    Nice congrats!!!

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Have these always been alder bodies throughout the years? It's a 2006.

User Info Menu

Wow! That looks beuuuuuuutiful!!! Well done!!

Bodies have been alder for a long time. Perhaps back in the 80s or 90s ash was an option on some transparent colors but I don't recall any details.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Merci/Thanks!
    Last edited by furor; 04-02-2021 at 01:55 AM.