Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now Available on Dimarzio’s Website- Axis Pickups!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Well, if you want the closest thing that they make, that would be a Tone Zone Bridge and Air Norton Neck.

During the EVH Development, the two finalists were A and B. They were mostly identical except the A had mismatched coils, the "dual resonance" idea that Dimarzio developed. The B was matched coils.

EVH chose B. The A became The Tone Zone.
    Thanks! I think I recall in that lengthy flyer from DiMarzio about the A and B options, w/ EVH selection B. The dual resonance idea sounds intriguing to me, though. I'm not necessarily going for matching EVH specs, but the Tone Zone looks interesting.

Any thoughts on the Titan series? Too bad there isn't a way to demo the various pickup sounds - feels like flying blind.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

User Info Menu

Several years back, DiMarzio started saying that the Andy Timmons AT-1 was the closest bridge pickup equivalent.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoKart Mozart View Post
    Several years back, DiMarzio started saying that the Andy Timmons AT-1 was the closest bridge pickup equivalent.
    Yes, I recall you saying that the coils are identical to the B1, but it has the "air" treatment which reduces output and makes it more "vintage".

Dimarzio really did start doing a bunch of interesting things after the development of the EVH pickups. Both the "Dual Resonance" and "Air" treatment were developed for EVH's needs. I know a lot of makers now make a point to have "mismatched coils for a vintage sound" with a lot of their pickups.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

The Tone Zone / Air Norton is a great combination. Besides, they are also great when you split them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    haha,...for a moment.... just ~4 weeks ago I bought a set of AL HH-buckers 2nd hand to fit them in my SUB1. They match that guitar perfectly - but I bought them because I knew of their exclusivity
    If I remember well, you had Morse pickups in your SUB (like me by the way ).
    Why did you decide to change ?

Recently, I installed a push / pull in order to split the Morse humbuckers and I am quite happy with the result.

User Info Menu

Does the Axis use standard spaced or F-spaced pickups?
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.