Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD #2: Steve Morse Sparkle

User Info Menu

NGD #2: Steve Morse Sparkle

Nothing for ages ... then two guitars in two days! But I couldn't help myself when I saw the new Steve Morse- beside the sparkly burst, the roasted neck and SS frets put it over the top.

This one is awesome- sounds amazing out of the box. I'll eventually change up the switching, but not for a while. I'll just play it stock and soak up the new guitar smell

One thing I just noticed (on this and the LIII from yesterday) was the new tuners- they're smaller than the previous locking tuners. Interesting.

Here's a side-by-side with my '91. Man that new pickguard is shiny. I'll need sunglasses to play this thing. Also the fretboard is quite a bit lighter. (I know, it's hard to tell with a washed-out pic.)

User Info Menu

HOLY HELL. Thank you for saving me from that one, as it was so so SO tempting. I mean, I love my Morse, and I love blue, and I love sparkles. Of course, I could always order one, but with a Diablo Blue Axis on order, and a Pacific Blue Sparkle Stingray RS at home, I'm good. I hope.

How do the SS frets feel compared to the standard?
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Wow Beej (Jason) congrats man!!!! Love the color!!!! It looks like the body is smaller, is that right?

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Congrats, beej! That guitar looks amazing!
    JP6 Pearl Redburst; 20th Anniversary Silhouette; Silhouette Special Las Vegas Gold; 2007 LE Bongo 4H; BFR JP6 Trans Ruby; AL MM90 Pacific Blue Burst; 2006 LE AL; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Maple Fretboard, Hardtail; 25th Anniversary Guitar Quilt, Rosewood Fretboard, Tremolo; DD2 BFR JP6; DD2 BFR GR; AL HH Black; Luke with Piezo, Black Sugar Roasted Maple (Sold); Steve Morse Y2D Darklord; Steve Morse Y2D, 2012 PDN; Armada, Black/Gold; Silhouette Special, Vintage Burst; JP13, 7-String

User Info Menu

Great looking SM!
    2008 LE Silhouette Special SSS
    20th Silhoutte w/Piezo

User Info Menu

That looks ace. Congrats man - so cool. It’s like father and son with the 30 year gap there
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...nuary-28-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    How do the SS frets feel compared to the standard?
    Hah, well they both have SS frets actually. I had the old one re-fretted a while back.

I like them- they're smoother feeling. But I'd call it a minor difference over nickel frets.

Glenn- that's just my crappy photography skills. They're the same size.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    Glenn- that's just my crappy photography skills. They're the same size.
    Hahahahahahaha, NP Beej after looking at it for a while longer they look the same.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I will say there's a huge difference in the necks. The new one has the worn-down profile they introduced with the Y2D- my favourite neck shape, hands-down. My old one started off with the thicker neck, and was carved down by Tommy, years ago. It's pretty sweet, but not as slim.

I know the Morse is an odd duck and doesn't appeal to everyone but, man, it just feels so great to play.

User Info Menu

LOVE it!!!!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Congrats Beej on this amazing new Morse!
    EVH Hardtail Red 1995
    Axis Sport SSS Trem Transparent Purple 1998
    Axis Sport MM90 Trem Transparent Orange 1999
    Axis SS Hardtail Piezo Honeyburst 2007
    Albert Lee MM90 Hardtail Dargie Delight 2007
    Bongo 4HH Stealth 2007
    BFR 25th Anniversary Venetian Red burst 2009

User Info Menu

That finish! Amazing looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Looks awesome!!! Congrats!!!

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

congrats - awesome new one!
    but I really dig the old one!
    What does your 91 have behind the stoptail?
    blueburst Steve Morse Standard, Jan 03, 2005
    pinkburst Albert Lee, Jul 13, 1994
    cinnamon SUB1, Mar 08, 2004
    vintage gold reflex, June 22, 2011

My Band: Groove Bang

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by banjoplayer View Post
    What does your 91 have behind the stoptail?
    Good eye It's a little rubber grommet to stop sympathetic vibration of the G string behind the bridge.

Figuring that one out nearly drove me crazy!

I have a Callaham bridge on there (sitting on some stainless steel screws I drove in further than the original posts) - one of the many mods over the years. It made the guitar a little brighter, but when I'm playing on the middle frets of the G string there was this buzzing that I couldn't dial out. In the end, it was vibration behind the bridge. So now I put a little grommet between the strings to keep it from rattling.