EB Tone Squad

Thread: ST Vincent Foil pickups Like? Make your own?

User Info Menu

ST Vincent Foil pickups Like? Make your own?

I absolutely love the look of the new gold foil pickups on the 2021 St Vincent. Sexy stuff!
    Has anyone made their own foil covers? Just wondering what you thought, supplies used, issues, concerns over a normal humbucker?

This guy did it and I think they look great:
    Made some "gold foil-look" pickups | The Gear Page

User Info Menu

I think most of the original "gold foil" was perforated paper backed aluminum foil. That's why they are called "foil pickups". It was rarely any type of screen or mesh. These days though it can be anything.

I don't think anything used over a normal humbucker would really change the sound more than a regular cover would. It does make it pretty hard to adjust polepieces though.

I wonder what kind of construction is inside of the St Vincent gold foil pickups. Are they still firebird style?

The original "gold foil" pickups by Teisco and DeArmond were fairly low output. They were built using rubberized ferrite magnets. In other words, refrigerator magnets.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

AFAIK, no one has said how the new Goldie pickups are constructed, but the old DiMarzio minibuckers weren't built like Firebird pickups. They just kinda looked like it because they didn't visible polepices. But they were normal minihums, which is to say basically built like a normal humbucker, just in a different shape.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    I wonder what kind of construction is inside of the St Vincent gold foil pickups. Are they still firebird style?