VPJr Tuner

Thread: What is this guitar model?

User Info Menu

Question What is this guitar model?

Hi,
    I purchased two Ernie Ball guitars at a garage sale and am wondering what model they are. I did some google searches and found that similar looking guitars (the axis?) were going for thousands of dollars; the head stock on these have a different logo than the ones I saw online though. They're both identical to each other except one is red/sparkle and the other is black/sparkle.
    The black one is more sparkly than the red.
    The metal plate on the back of the guitars have the same logo as the headstocks.
    Both have a 3-way toggle switch.

Photos: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

User Info Menu

That is a low end OLP "Officially Licensed Product". They sold around the $300 price range.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Further to what Glenn said, OLP was the predecessor to the current Sterling by Music Man line. Sterling still sells the Axis, BTW, for either $350 for the black or white model, or $400 for the flame maple top. I have one of each - they're good guitars for the money.

The Ernie Ball version sells for around 8-10 times the cost of the Sterling model.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

User Info Menu

Some of those OLP's are pretty decent gittars!
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

I've been very impressed by the quality of the Sterlings I've touched. From a purely build- quality perspective, they beat out anything else at their price point.

I never had that experience with any of the OLPs that passed through my hands back in the day. But these may be nice, who knows. Often the difference between good and bad is simply someone taking the time make relatively small adjustments.

User Info Menu

Don't know about OLP, but my Sterling Axises (Axes?) have been great with just a little work. The trem arms leave a bit to be desired; they're screw in, and unless they're basically screwed in as tight as they can go (and not generally in a useable spot), they have some annoying play. That can mostly be fixed with a few wraps of teflon pipe tape, though.

My most recent SbMM Axis came with frets that felt like sandpaper - you could see the tooling marks up close. A few hours with some fret erasers fixed that, plus tweaking the setup a little. Now, it feels almost as good as my EBMM Axis. Bends are effortless.
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.