EB Tone Squad

Thread: NGDish - MODIFIED AXIS THREAD

User Info Menu

NGDish - MODIFIED AXIS THREAD

New guitar day...sorta. After floating several threads about mods for my Axis HSS - I never jived with the singlecoils but the neck/feel of this guitar is way too insane - I pulled the trigger on the necessary overhauls to make it my main player. I wasn't able to get my tech to stop the action long enough to chronicle the journey, but check out the before and after shots!

The humbuckers are an EMG 57/66 set with a SLV single in the middle. I mistakenly purchased the non-splittable versions of these humbuckers, so will probably be re-wiring down the road to incorporate a 3 way rotary switch in addition to the 5-way blade for some added versatility, but for now she screams!! (Also, I swapped out the chrome knobs for black strat knobs after this picture was taken)
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport MM90
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

Meh. Sorry not impressed, especially by anything with EMGS in it. Why people buy guitars with the intent of hacking them up is beyond me.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Here is an HH pickguard from Pete's shop that you rout for the signle coil...I did it for a SbMM Axis of mine.
    Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Sport HH Pickguard - Matte Black | Reverb
    2013 SbMM AX30D Natural Quilt Maple (1 0f 1 2008 Prototype)
    2014 SbMM JP100D BKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2015 SbMM JP100D MKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    Why people buy guitars with the intent of hacking them up is beyond me.
    I wouldn't exactly say my intent was to "hack it up" - more that I found that the stock guitar didn't meet my needs, but the feel/neck/etc has the "fit" that I haven't found in other guitars. But to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdoublecut View Post
    Here is an HH pickguard from Pete's shop that you rout for the signle coil
    Thanks! I'll look into that.
    EBMM 1998 Axis Sport MM90
    EBMM 1997 Axis Sport SSH

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." Stephen King

User Info Menu

If it were because you're missing a neck humbucker, or the singles are too quiet compared to that bridge humbucker: In my red AS SSH I swapped 'em out for a Dimarzio Pro Track in neck and an Dimarzio Injector Neck for the middle position.
    Sounds really, really good, and the in between positions have a good quack, without getting much quieter. Plus, since I bought mine used sans original pickups and sans Silent Circuit, with these pickups - no noise!
    So I didn't have to do any routing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NGDish - MODIFIED AXIS THREAD-img_20210505_171311081-jpg  
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs) *SOLD*