Volt Power Supply

Thread: Pickups in parallel on Luke 3?

User Info Menu

Pickups in parallel on Luke 3?

I would like to add a second push/push to my Luke 3 hss to be able to use the bridge humbucker in parallel. Mainly to get even more versatility and better cleans from the bridge pickup.

So Iīd love to hear if anybody has done the same or know if itīs possible? Itīs not one of the new Luke 3īs with cutlass pickups. It has the transition pickups.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

It's totally possible. I tried it on my Silhouette Special and didn't like it too much, the parallel is just too thin sounding, split coil may have been better. Either way, it's an easy mod to do if you already have some soldering experience. Here's DiMarzio's instructions...

https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...nductor_48.pdf
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

I had a single-pup guitar wired for Series-Split-Parallel. I found parallel useful, but not for the reason I expected: with the coils that close together, you don't get ANY of the spank or quack associated with two traditionally-spaced singles, but you do get a brighter, thinner sound. It's like a sort of flat, less interesting split sound... Only without the hum. Which made it PERFECT for gobs of gain and effects or any other time you don't really need a ton of detail and character from your pickups.