VPJr Tuner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STV Goldie

User Info Menu

STV Goldie

Anyone ever get any more info on the pickups? How they sound compared to the original mini-hums? How they compare to other gold foils? Any word beyond the page verbiage of "bright and articulate" or big poppa saying they're "so good?" Just chomping at the bit for these guitars, already have one on preorder.

User Info Menu

Nope. Ain't heard nothing.

My money is on normal mini-hum (not Firebird) construction, with custom aesthetics. Could be wrong; total guess.

User Info Menu

Also really wondering about this!

User Info Menu

I got this email from from customer service a few days ago:

"Hi Nick,

Since sending this, we've actually received a description from our R&D team.

Here's a bit more on their tone.

"These pickups have a moderate, "vintage" output with a clear, chimey sound that I would describe as a big single coil. The top end is clear but smooth and the low end is rounder than a single-coil, but more defined than a normal humbucker. They are fully humbucking and potted. The bridge has a little more output and with slightly less treble and a tad more mids for a little extra horsepower than the other two.

I would put them somewhere between a single coil and a traditional PAF humbucker, more in the range of a traditional filtertron style pickup."

User Info Menu

Interesting. More chime and sparkle is DEFINITELY what the old HHH St. V needed, imo.

User Info Menu

Then I‘m going with a St. Vincent from the Standard Range.
    I‘m shure the Goldie will be amazing but I’m not into Singlecoil or P90 territory.
    2019 LIII in Firemist Purple

2020 LIII in Fuchsia Sparkle

2021 LIII Cherry Burst Quilt Top

User Info Menu

As much as I love the originals, I do agree they needed a little more top end. That said, I have a stealth black hhh that I swapped the tone pot (maybe both volume and tone?) for 500k and that certainly did the trick. Nonetheless, I did go ahead and preorder one of the new Goldies, I think they're absolutely stunning. I'll hopefully have it in the first week of June.

User Info Menu

Super interesting to hear all this. I was debating putting these in my St Vincent, curious how the new pickups will compare! Fralin Big Single Mini: Huge Single Coil Sound, No Hum.

User Info Menu

Here's the first video I've been able to find of it! Ernie Ball Music Man St. Vincent Goldie Demo - First Look - YouTube

User Info Menu

She gets some interesting sounds and she's a killer player! A lot different in tone and style than what I normally play but I may have to cop some of those funky rhythm moves from her. Mine should be coming this week.

User Info Menu

That's a really nice demo. Premier guitar always gets good people to do their reviews / demo. Definitely like the sounds I was hearing. I would have liked some more "totally clean" and "rock" sounds, but I'm sure other demos will provide those.

Now... if only those colors were a bit different. I get that St. Vincent has gone whole hog into the 70's music and vibe, but those colors just aren't doing it for me. I do however love the aesthetics of the gold foil pickups, even if they don't have the traditional gold foil construction, which often uses literally refrigerator magnets.

St. V did just say this about it:

My Goldie guitar is out today! As seen on tv! (On #SNL twice!) I love this guitar. Kinda the perfect marriage of my quirky old pawn shop guitars and the OG STV model.
    Last edited by tbonesullivan; 06-01-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Yeah, I'd love to hear some clean tones too! I'm trying to decide if I want to get the Goldie or install the Fralin Big Singles in my original.

User Info Menu

A person on Twitter posted this and then very kindly followed up with some clean comparison tones when I asked them about it!
    https://twitter.com/n_retallicka/sta...88811362607111
    https://twitter.com/n_retallicka/sta...42118714105857

User Info Menu

Oh wow! Definitely a lot more sparkle and jangle with the new pickups.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

New demo video-mostly cleans, some fuzz, some high gain, compared to original St Vincent and Albert Lee HH

EBMM St Vincent Goldie (With Comparisons) - YouTube
    Last edited by NickNihil; 06-03-2021 at 08:47 PM.