EB Tone Squad

Thread: Possibly warped neck on a 2019 Majesty

User Info Menu

Possibly warped neck on a 2019 Majesty

Hi folks. I just purchased a 6 string majesty from Guitar Center on the 8th of May this year. I think there is an issue with the neck. Sn both the bass and treble side, at the headstock the fretboard appears to be quite flat until the 7th fret. Going from the 8th fret further down there seems to be quite a bit of relief until the 17th fret and begins to flatten out. almost if you took and "S" and rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.

What should I do in this situation? The luthier I spoke with is saying its a "serpentine", or warped neck. Any information will be helpful. Thank you.

Also I am not able to email CS. It is asking me to verify that I am human with no captcha.

User Info Menu

What did Guitar Center say about the situation?
    2005-JP6 RED PEARL
    2012-JPXI BLACK ONYX
    2013-JPXII BALI BURST
    2014-MAJESTY ARCTIC DREAM
    2015-JP15 BLUEBERRY BURST (#57-300)
    2015-JPXII CHERRY SUGAR

User Info Menu

Return it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RAIN27 View Post
    What did Guitar Center say about the situation?
    Tech said it was all within normal parameters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by psocques View Post
    That's nice of him, you have 30 days return it...
    2005-JP6 RED PEARL
    2012-JPXI BLACK ONYX
    2013-JPXII BALI BURST
    2014-MAJESTY ARCTIC DREAM
    2015-JP15 BLUEBERRY BURST (#57-300)
    2015-JPXII CHERRY SUGAR

User Info Menu

How are you measuring relief? You need to use as straight edge, like the strings on the guitar. Trying to eyeball it doesn't really work.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbonesullivan View Post
    How are you measuring relief? You need to use as straight edge, like the strings on the guitar. Trying to eyeball it doesn't really work.
    Has already been returned. The manager and different tech at GC agreed it was significantly warped.
    Last edited by psocques; 05-23-2021 at 07:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Glad GC did the right thing.

Also I am not able to email CS. It is asking me to verify that I am human with no captcha.
    Thanks for this, I'll let EBMM know.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

FYI, it's really hit or miss w/ GC techs. I went into a local GC and asked about saddle block springs for my Strat, and the guy grabbed a bag of trem arm springs and looked at me questioningly - I had to explain what they were, and what he had grabbed.

I mean, I know that different guitars may use different parts and all, but come on - not knowing the difference between a trem arm spring and saddle block spring, for a Strat? One of the most common guitars on the planet??
    2018 EBMM Axis BFR in Steel Blue
    2021 EBMM Sabre BFR in Coral Blue Burst
    2020 SbMM Axis in White
    2021 SbMM Axis in Neptune Blue
    ...and some other, lesser, non-MM guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayjayjay View Post
    FYI, it's really hit or miss w/ GC techs. I went into a local GC and asked about saddle block springs for my Strat, and the guy grabbed a bag of trem arm springs and looked at me questioningly - I had to explain what they were, and what he had grabbed.

I mean, I know that different guitars may use different parts and all, but come on - not knowing the difference between a trem arm spring and saddle block spring, for a Strat? One of the most common guitars on the planet??
    I agree. I don't really like buying instruments from GC, but I hate sight unseen even more. I've ordered one in Dark Roast now, so hopefully it will have better results.

User Info Menu

Disappointing to hear this but it obviously happens. I have had to dodge a couple of issues with Majestys already when these guitars are "right" they are glorious. I think I just bought my 4th EB MM a few minutes ago .... There is no hope for most of us here.