Majesty New Colors 2021
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truss Rod on Axis Not Changing Action

User Info Menu

Truss Rod on Axis Not Changing Action

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2002 Axis which appears to have developed concave bow after sitting unplayed for a number of years. I attempted to do a truss rod adjustment by turning the carousel wheel clockwise in gradual increments over a period of days, however, the wheel seems to just keep turning without having any effect on the neck. Any insight into this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Casey

User Info Menu

You might want to check out my thread "Truss Rod Snapped" posted on 05/09. My fix (recommended here) worked like a charm.
    2013 SbMM AX30D Natural Quilt Maple (1 0f 1 2008 Prototype)
    2014 SbMM JP100D BKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2015 SbMM JP100D MKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kingdoublecut View Post
    You might want to check out my thread "Truss Rod Snapped" posted on 05/09. My fix (recommended here) worked like a charm.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely give that a try. Do you have a particular recommendation on how much to turn it at a time?

User Info Menu

Right now, you should just turn it until it engages to see if it works at all. If everything is in good condition, you cannot break anything without using real force so feel free to turn as many times as is necessary.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    Right now, you should just turn it until it engages to see if it works at all. If everything is in good condition, you cannot break anything without using real force so feel free to turn as many times as is necessary.
    Thanks, that's a good idea. Hopefully I can get it to engage.

User Info Menu

Looks like it worked! I did one full turn counter-clockwise and one full turn clockwise and the truss rod was functional again. It now looks pretty close to its original action. I got to a point where there was a fair bit of resistance, so I stopped. Wasn't sure if I should try still turn it slightly? Anyway, thanks again for both of your insights. For quite some time I figured that the neck needed some major work done and it just sat on a stand, so this is a huge relief. It will definitely be nice to play it again after several years.

User Info Menu

It's all DrKev...I was just sharing what he told me to do...
    2013 SbMM AX30D Natural Quilt Maple (1 0f 1 2008 Prototype)
    2014 SbMM JP100D BKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2015 SbMM JP100D MKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

See, I'm not just a pretty face.

Remember folks, truss rod adjustments are safer and easier than making a toasted sandwich and you can adjust as often as needed. Some resistance is absolutely fine, if you get the neck relief you require all is good.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

Sounds good! This forum's been a huge help. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Casey,

I am happy that you find a solution. Kevin (DrKev) knows a lot about guitar.
    But now you have to follow the golden rule of this forum : where a re the pictures of your guitar ???

User Info Menu

For sure! Here's a few. I bought the Axis from a collector on eBay back in 2008, I believe. I had always liked the solid colored ones, especially the gloss black. When I finally found this one with the birdseye, I figured it was the one for me. Definitely one of my favorite guitars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truss Rod on Axis Not Changing Action-20210524_110911-1-jpg   Truss Rod on Axis Not Changing Action-20210524_110646-2-3-jpg   Truss Rod on Axis Not Changing Action-20210524_110718-1-jpg  

User Info Menu

Tip - be sure to keep proper string tension at all times. Tune it up to pitch on a regular basis (or even a wee bit higher if it's not going to be played for a while).
    I've learned this the hard way myself over the years...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

btw - that's a beauty! Great guitars!
    I finally got a great deal on a semi-hollow a few years back because it was "boring black"
    I think it's beautiful, and it's one of my top playing & sounding guitars.
    I learned a long time ago that fancy woods and colors don't equal great instruments.
    They sure are pretty to look at though...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    btw - that's a beauty! Great guitars!
    I finally got a great deal on a semi-hollow a few years back because it was "boring black"
    I think it's beautiful, and it's one of my top playing & sounding guitars.
    I learned a long time ago that fancy woods and colors don't equal great instruments.
    They sure are pretty to look at though...
    Nice!!!!!! And I concur with your statement. But black can be boring at times. Now throw a little fleck in there and well that's one of the classiest colors out there.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip, and so true! I think it has the nicest finish of any of my guitars (tricky to photograph without getting reflections hah). Love the semi-hollow btw! The body style definitely lends itself well to either solid or semi-hollow.