Volt Power Supply

Thread: Heavier gauge strings

User Info Menu

Heavier gauge strings

Just wondering if anyone has upped their string gauges to 12's with standard tuning. EBMM FAQ says the nut needs filing-I have 11's on my Albert Lee and St Vincent and I haven't noticed any problems. I used to play a Jazzmaster strung with 12's and I'm kinda missing the feel of those thicker strings. Just wondering what anyone else has done and what they've found.

User Info Menu

On my SUB, I had to fill the nut in order to put some 10-52 strings (on the low E and A strings).
    Be careful, if the string cannot move in the slot, it will put some pressure on the nut and it can break.

User Info Menu

The issue is the width of the nut slots. Either some heavier gauge strings won't fit at all or the will be too tight in the slot. You may hear lots of pinging noise while tuning and tuning stability will be a problem. Over the years some forum members have reported no problems with 11 gauge set, but some have needed nut work. I don't recall anyone going to 12 gauge set without needing nut work.

That said it's an easy job for a competent tech with the right tools.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.