Joe Dart

Thread: Replace or not replace?

User Info Menu

Replace or not replace?

First time posting here. Bear with me.

So I got a Luke III a few weeks ago and I’m addicted to Music Mans now, especially the 1 5/8” roasted neck.

Current line up is Eastman SB59/v, PRS 594, PRS Cu24, HSS Pro Stratocaster, Luke III. I want a tele and another Music Man. Not sure what other holes need filling. Not into P90s or fillertrons and not in a rush for a semi hollow.

The dilemma I’m having is should I sell/trade the SB? Really like LP tones, but I’m wondering if I really need the overlap. If I replaced with a MM, what to get? I may buy an Ultra Tele anyway. I think I can buy one guitar at the moment or move the SB and get two, one a tele and another if something else.

Other MM guitars I’m looking at are Axis, Valentine, Cutlass HSS, Sabre, and JP6/15.

I keep going back and forth on what to do. I like all my guitars, I really do. I also don’t want like 50 guitars. Also, I’m very partial to PRS like I am with Music Man.

User Info Menu

Anybody have an opinion?

User Info Menu

If you're veering towards a Tele, definitely try a Valentine! Fantastic guitars - very versatile with great Tele tones and you will feel immediately at home with the neck. You can find them used for around $1400-$1500.
    Luke 2 Graphite Pearl MH
    Luke 2 Lime Gold
    Luke 2 BFR True Gold Rosewood
    JP6 Dragon's Blood Quilt
    JP6 White Pearl MH
    JP6 PDN Starry Night MH
    Stingray Short Scale Bass Starry Night
    Cutlass PDN Starry Night MH
    Cutlass Ghostwood
    Cutlass Black
    Valentine Saturn Gold
    Albert Lee BFR Sea Foam Sparkle MH

User Info Menu

If you still want something in the Les Paul arena, I’d say look into the Armada, but it is used market only because the model has been discontinued. An Albert Lee HH might be worth a look, but it’s not full on Les Paul territory - could be with the right pickups tho
    A Valentine hits the sweet spot, bridging tele and 335 territory.
    Host of The Pop Society Presents... "Nashville Skies" - Live on Radio Free Matlock - Every 4th Thursday of the Month at 7pm UK Time, or Catch up on Mixcloud

https://www.mixcloud.com/radiofreema...april-22-2021/

https://radiofreematlock.co.uk

Follow us on Twitter @nashvilleskies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
    If you're veering towards a Tele, definitely try a Valentine! Fantastic guitars - very versatile with great Tele tones and you will feel immediately at home with the neck. You can find them used for around $1400-$1500.
    What stinks is there isn’t a dealer with MM stock anywhere near me to try. I’m able to try the standard and ultra teles but that’s about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TripHazard View Post
    If you still want something in the Les Paul arena, I’d say look into the Armada, but it is used market only because the model has been discontinued. An Albert Lee HH might be worth a look, but it’s not full on Les Paul territory - could be with the right pickups tho
    A Valentine hits the sweet spot, bridging tele and 335 territory.
    Well, I have a PRS 594. It doesn’t grunt like an LP but it is clearer, easier to play, and sounds more vintage.

User Info Menu

If you want a Tele tone, get a proper Tele.... a MIM will do. The Valentine really won't cut it....
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Axis.

User Info Menu

Check out G&L ASAT Specials for a Tele alternative, and an ASAT HH as a Les Paul alternative.. great guitars.

My next will be a Sabre. I get weak just looking at them...
    Last edited by Wildhorse; 07-05-2021 at 06:51 PM.
    Best,
    Bryan

*EBMM BFR Sabre - Coral Blue Burst
    *EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS - Scarlet Red
    *Various non EBMM guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    If you want a Tele tone, get a proper Tele.... a MIM will do. The Valentine really won't cut it....
    I agree the XJ. You cant get an alternative to a Tele or LP really. If you have that itch you should get the real thing. MM are amazing guitars and cover a great range but sometimes an itch is an itch :-)
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

I had an American Tele and gave it away to my son after getting the ASAT Special.. It is a great guitar, but I like the ASAT more. That’s the real test IMO, when you have competing products and one stands out. Admittedly though both my sons play and they think I’m nuts... I gave my other son my Clapton Strat when I started getting S Types that IMO are superior guitars..
    Best,
    Bryan

*EBMM BFR Sabre - Coral Blue Burst
    *EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS - Scarlet Red
    *Various non EBMM guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
    I'd have to agree with this. As someone who appreciates the Telecaster and now owns a Valentine, it's kind of like a tweaked Tele and the roasted neck will feel like shaking hands with an old friend. The tapered body is kind of cool as well.