Joe Dart

Thread: the reflex

User Info Menu

the reflex

I own a gold reflex...to me..it,s everything the axis series should be...bigger feeling neck,arm contour,bigger body....a truly superb guitar..and the gold is like a pearl gold...spectacular paint..a series/parallel pickup selector.so you can actually derive serious single coil sounds outta those 2 humbuckers...and the sales were awful...wtf...a flop...my fave.

User Info Menu

You don’t see many for sale.

User Info Menu

I think with more (better) colours, they would have sold a lot more.
    "If you bend a string and you don't make a face; it's like eating food without tasting it." - Paul Gilbert

Yucatan Blue Axis
    Black Sugar Albert Lee SSS - piezo
    25th Anniversary
    Dargie Delight 1 Silhouette HSH

User Info Menu

I can't speak for others but the body shape didn't really scream "Rock me!!".

It's interesting reading your comparisons between the Reflex and the Axis.
    I'm curious, how does the tone of the Reflex in humbucker mode compare to the Axis? It's still got the 25 1/2" scale and bolt on construction. Is there much difference?
    Last edited by wannarock8; 06-23-2021 at 12:07 PM.
    Bongo fretless in firemist purple
    September 2020 BFR Bongo 5 string in satin honey burst
    2006 Axis Super Sport in honey burst
    2015 Axis Super Sport semi hollow in honey burst
    Y2D PDN
    JP16
    2016 Reflex HH hard tail piezo with Game Changer

User Info Menu

its been a while,but i think they,re about the same..

User Info Menu

The bigger size always didn't appeal to me, athough the Reflex ticks some boxes, I must admit.
    There are some great colours, I recall, but a plain white one also looks great, since I don't remember regular plain white ones in the whole Axis family ever since. MAybe wrong with this though...
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs) *SOLD*

User Info Menu

The Axis Sport came in white- before the figured tops and binding of the Super Sport. (I briefly had one.)

User Info Menu

I just scored one last weekend. I'll put up an NGD thread when I get some good pics. A black Reflex HH hardtail with piezo and Game Changer circuit.
    Besides pics, I want to do a shootout with the Reflex and my Axis SS guitars.

From reading about it and plugging it in a little bit, I'd say if I were a touring pro with a rig that is controlled by a MIDI foot controller or even better, a computer, and playing into an AxeFX rather than an amp, the Reflex with the Game Changer circuit would be a great choice. You could play your entire gig without having to take your hands away from the strings to flip the pickup selector switch, or even to flip from electric to acoustic tones. If your rig has acoustic guitar presets, which I think modeling units like the Axe FX do, a MIDI message from your MIDI controller or a computer could switch off the magnetic pickups and switch on the piezo when you need to play an acoustic part, and switch to the acoustic guitar preset on your modeling rig at the same instant.
    And MIDI messages from a computer or MIDI controller could make all your pickup selector changes for your electric guitar parts.
    You'd be able to just play your parts, and a computer or a tech offstage could handle preset changes to your effects, amp and the guitar.

Aside from the Game Changer circuit, a chambered body with mahogany tone block and those amazing sounding Axis pickups... I'm excited to hear it up next to my solid and hollow body Axis SSs.
    Bongo fretless in firemist purple
    September 2020 BFR Bongo 5 string in satin honey burst
    2006 Axis Super Sport in honey burst
    2015 Axis Super Sport semi hollow in honey burst
    Y2D PDN
    JP16
    2016 Reflex HH hard tail piezo with Game Changer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beej View Post
    The Axis Sport came in white- before the figured tops and binding of the Super Sport. (I briefly had one.)
    Ahhh, right. I remember some pics of a white AS HSS with a black pickguard. Just can't find one right now...
    2001 Axis Sport HH hardtail maple fretboard burnt apple
    2001 Axis SuperSport HH hardtail maple fretboard translucent gold
    1997 Axis Sport HSS hardtail maple fretboard translucent red (Pro Track in neck and Injector Neck in middle)
    2002 AL MM90 hardtail maple fretboard honeyburst converted to AL 2H (black Dimarzio Customs) *SOLD*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alf cockle View Post
    I own a gold reflex...to me..it,s everything the axis series should be...bigger feeling neck,arm contour,bigger body....a truly superb guitar..and the gold is like a pearl gold...spectacular paint..a series/parallel pickup selector.so you can actually derive serious single coil sounds outta those 2 humbuckers...and the sales were awful...wtf...a flop...my fave.
    Comparing the 2 is pointless. They are different guitars. The Axis remains a solid model, the Reflex.........
    2010 Axis Super Sport BFR Bahama Blue Burst Rosewood fretboard

You only have 12 notes, what you do with them is up to you - Edward Van Halen

User Info Menu

sounds like the KISS thought wins out....