VPJr Tuner

Thread: All rosewood necks

User Info Menu

All rosewood necks

Are they a special order item , or limited run etc. I played an Albert Lee quite a few years ago with one and loved it, but didn't have enough in my gear fund. I have a 2014 Axis on its way from Long and Mcquade with the all rosewood neck as we speak. But I don't see many around.

User Info Menu

Depends on the model. For the Albert Lee HH, they were standard. They were also standard on the Luke III for a while, and on the original St. Vincent guitars.

The St. Vincent and Luke III are both now roasted maple, and I would wager that the Albert Lee HH will be that way soon. It has become quite hard to get blanks big enough to make an entire neck out of Rosewood.

I do not know if this will change once the supply chain issues from Covid and Ocean freight insanity are over.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Rosewood necks...love, love, love 'em! Have had on Albert Lees (2), and currently jave on a 2005 Axis with Rosewood top.
    2013 SbMM AX30D Natural Quilt Maple (1 0f 1 2008 Prototype)
    2014 SbMM JP100D BKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2015 SbMM JP100D MKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Are they a special order item , or limited run etc. I played an Albert Lee quite a few years ago with one and loved it, but didn't have enough in my gear fund. I have a 2014 Axis on its way from Long and Mcquade with the all rosewood neck as we speak. But I don't see many around.
    Keep you eye open for the BFR runs, sometimes they'll do rosewood necks.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    Keep you eye open for the BFR runs, sometimes they'll do rosewood necks.

Glenn |B)
    I actually have a solid rosewood neck Axis incoming. Just wondering about why it would have a rosewood neck...ie special order or just a run in 2014 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I actually have a solid rosewood neck Axis incoming.
    Congrats on your Axis. I don't think I have ever seen one with a full rosewood neck. I have seen them on L3's, St Vincent and Albert Lees, but not the Axis.
    Bongo fretless in firemist purple
    September 2020 BFR Bongo 5 string in satin honey burst
    2006 Axis Super Sport in honey burst
    2015 Axis Super Sport semi hollow in honey burst
    Y2D PDN
    JP16
    2016 Reflex HH hard tail piezo with Game Changer

User Info Menu

This is it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All rosewood necks-md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_img_8895-jpeg-jpg   All rosewood necks-md_70_ee9ee03522dabcdae1620a9192b36786_img_8908-jpeg-jpg  

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wannarock8 View Post
    Congrats on your Axis. I don't think I have ever seen one with a full rosewood neck. I have seen them on L3's, St Vincent and Albert Lees, but not the Axis.
    There were at least two limited runs (2013 and 2008 BFR logo run for sure) when you could order an all rosewood neck on almost any instrument and yes, the Axis was included in the 2013 run and I'm almost certain it part of 2008 BFR run too.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

My new BFR Sabre has a rosewood neck. It’s my first and it’s great feeling in my hand. I’ve only got in 8-10 hours so far, but it feels like friction is already going down and it started out wonderful.
    Best,
    Bryan

*EBMM BFR Sabre - Coral Blue Burst
    *EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS - Scarlet Red
    *Various non EBMM guitars

User Info Menu

I have owned and tried AL HH and L3's with and "without" full rosewood neck.

The rosewood AL is definetely darker, which is fine to me. But I also love the brighter mapple/ebony neck on my PDN2016.

The L3 was another story : I've owned 3 Olive gold/rosewood L3's from the original run. All 3 were fantastic.
    Owned a Hazelnut BFR and a "regular" Bodie Blue. Didn't care for these two ,too bright, too fizzy for my taste. They lacked sweetness compared to the "rosewood ones". But you might just love that.

IMHO rosewood necks are fabulous!
    Last edited by Magic Jason; 07-17-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Jason View Post
    I have owned and tried AL HH and L3's with and "without" full rosewood neck.

The rosewood AL is definetely darker, which is fine to me. But I also love the brighter mapple/ebony neck on my PDN2016.

The L3 was another story : I've owned 3 Olive gold/rosewood L3's from the original run. All 3 were fantastic.
    Owned a Hazelnut BFR and a "regular" Bodie Blue. Didn't care for these two ,too bright, too fizzy for my taste. They lacked sweetness compared to the "rosewood ones". But you might just love that.

IMHO rosewood necks are fabulous!
    My HH AL is definitely a dark sounding guitar. It really is one of my favorite guitars to play partly because of the feel of the rosewood neck, but occasionally I am forced to play a different Music Man (oh, the humanity) because it is just too dark sounding for what I'm trying to play in the moment. Music Man got it 100% right in the first release, but I am waiting to see what the specs on the new AL are... if they happen to move away from the all rosewood neck and put a roasted maple neck on it I may have to pick one up to compare.
    Trans Gold Axis- Flame (DOB 12.13.1996)
    Trans Green Axis Sport (DOB 12.02.1997)
    Trans Green Axis- Quilt (DOB 03.14.2000)
    Black HH Albert Lee (DOB 12.01.2009)
    Honey Roasted Axis - Quilt (DOB 09.20.2012)
    White HSS Silo Spec (DOB 02.03.2014)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    There were at least two limited runs (2013 and 2008 BFR logo run for sure) when you could order an all rosewood neck on almost any instrument and yes, the Axis was included in the 2013 run and I'm almost certain it part of 2008 BFR run too.
    Yes, and to add to that prior to the 2008 limited run the Axis line was offered with an all-rosewood top and neck. This option began in 2006, then was offered on almost the entire EBMM lineup in '08 as a BFR package, then offered again in 2013.
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDuBaldo View Post
    Yes, and to add to that prior to the 2008 limited run the Axis line was offered with an all-rosewood top and neck. This option began in 2006, then was offered on almost the entire EBMM lineup in '08 as a BFR package, then offered again in 2013.
    Thanks all. So mine with a born date of February 2014 would have been from the limited run of rosewood neck orders in 2013.....