VPJr Tuner

Thread: Sterling AX30D...Prototype?

User Info Menu

Sterling AX30D...Prototype?

I just acquired this beautiful natural quilt top AX30D off Reverb last night. I happened to take a spin through my standard Reverb searches after getting home from a gig and this popped up.

The curious things are:
    1. Natural finish quilt...I have never seen one before on a Sterling
    2. The stamped "2008" on the back of the headstock. Seller says store he bought it from said it was a prototype. The AX30 was introduced in 2009, albeit without the locking tuners and with burst or transparent finishes.

Anyone have any info on this lovely guitar?

Sterling AX30D...Prototype?-sterling-axis_2008_3-jpg
    Sterling AX30D...Prototype?-sterling-axis_2008_1-jpg
    2013 SbMM AX30D Natural Quilt Maple (1 0f 1 2008 Prototype)
    2014 SbMM JP100D BKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2015 SbMM JP100D MKOA Vintage Burst/Koa FOR SALE
    2005 EBMM Axis Super Sport Rosewood Top/Rosewood Neck - Hardtail
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

Nice looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Nice looking I'd drop Sterling by Musicman an email with the pics, see if they can help you out.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Yep, already have Glenn.
    2019 SbMM Albert Lee - Trans Walnut...Now Olympic White - HSH Mod - Dimarzio Virtual PAF/FS1/Virtual PAF
    2017 SbMM LK100D LUKE - Black Metallic - Stock - Dimarzio Transition pups - Now has Liquifire/Crunch Lab set

User Info Menu

Alright...Sterling says this dates to July 2013 and the only time they ever added a stamp to the back of the headstock, it was a small "x" to denote B Stock. Also, the AX30D was never offered in a natural finish. If the finish looks to be factory, then they believe it very well could have been a prototype as they were offered for sale.

In any case, this is a stunning guitar and as long as the pups prove to be original, I will keep it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kingdoublecut View Post
    Alright...Sterling says this dates to July 2013 and the only time they ever added a stamp to the back of the headstock, it was a small "x" to denote B Stock. Also, the AX30D was never offered in a natural finish. If the finish looks to be factory, then they believe it very well could have been a prototype as they were offered for sale.

In any case, this is a stunning guitar and as long as the pups prove to be original, I will keep it.
    Check your PM's.
    25th Anniversary Flame w/Trem SN G47750 DOB 10/13/09
    SBMM SUB AX4 Gotoh Trem Axis Pups Red Quilt
    EBMM - a guitar like no other.
    Even we mancave noodlers can appreciate the perfection that is an EBMM guitar.
    "one likes to believe in the freedom of music..."

User Info Menu

Also, as you're a fellow forum member here - if you find that the pups aren't original (I have absolutely no reason to believe they're not given my experience with them) I'll gladly refund your $ and you can send it back to me. Also, the quilt is really nice and I seriously doubt it's not factory. I probably should have pulled the pick ups to prove it with pics with my listing but didn't think to based on what I believe about them. In any case let me know.

And, I should have just listed it here in the forums but Reverb has become a habit for moving stuff and I didn't think about it until I saw your post.

User Info Menu

Well edhalen...this house is in order! Pups are authentic. Guitar is in amazing condition and the top is stellar. Interesting "U" mark in the neck rout...curious what that means. Wiring sounds different from my 2005 EBMM Axis, but I will put that on the import electronics. Definitely going to upgrade to US components. Weighs just a tad more than my 2005 EBMM Axis.

The stamp on the back of the headstock is clearly "2008" under magnification...again, wonder what that means as neck plate dates to 2013. Maybe not original neck plate? Why would they be building prototypes still 4 years into production? Sterling confirms not a production color.

BTW...glad you posted on Reverb as I would have missed it here most likely.
    Sterling AX30D...Prototype?-img_0407_web-jpg
    Sterling AX30D...Prototype?-img_0408_web-jpg

User Info Menu

So glad you’re happy! I could tell by the sound those pups were the real deal. Plus the triangle pick up routes were a dead giveaway. I’m so glad somebody who truly appreciates that guitar bought it. Have fun and thanks for buying it. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro