Joe Dart
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid question: do I use the gun oil method on my fretboard as well as the neck?

User Info Menu

Stupid question: do I use the gun oil method on my fretboard as well as the neck?

I know some substances can cause frets to lift.

Tru-Oil worked wonders on the back of the neck

User Info Menu

No! Tru Oil will actually dry hard.

The only thing I'd recommend on the fretboard is Lemon Oil, and get pure Lemon Oil (not full of additives).
    '97 Axis Sport Transparent Purple
    '05 JP6 Medallion Gold
    '09 Axis Amber Quilt
    '11 JP6 Pearl White
    '11 Axis Purple Quilt
    '12 SM-Y2D Purple Sunset
    '18 Majesty Monarchy Majestic Purple

MY MUSIC is on Facebook and Reverbnation.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    No! Tru Oil will actually dry hard.

The only thing I'd recommend on the fretboard is Lemon Oil, and get pure Lemon Oil (not full of additives).
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Having had frets lift, I'm somewhat careful about putting anything on my fretboards unless they're really dry.

User Info Menu

Taking no chances. Ordered the Wonder Wipes!

User Info Menu

So, is Wonder Wipes safe for frequent use on fingerboards?

I ask because I wipe my fingerboard(s) with it on most string changes, which, depending on guitar and humidty levels and gig schedule can be several times a month? That said, i take it off quickly with a clean t-shirt rag, so doesn't soak in much at all. Should I consider backing off on that?

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

On a similar neck care note, anyone used Scotch-Brite instead of sandpaper to prepare their neck for the oil and wax treatment? I saw a suggestion for it elsewhere, and I used some ultra-fine last night on a non-EBMM neck that had a sticky finish. It slicked it up nicely, but I did notice it took more finish than I expected, hence my question.
    My stuff:
    2007 Axis Pacific Blue Burst (9/25/07)
    2016 Axis SS Starry Night PDN (11/23/16)
    2016 Axis SS Semi-Hollow Trans Teal one-off (6/8/16)
    2018 Axis BFR Steel Blue No. 45 (9/18/18)
    2010 JP6 Mystic Dream (6/22/10)
    1989 Fender HM Strat HSS Blackstone
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe Caribbean Night
    1995 Washburn N2 Padauk Stain
    2017 Taylor 224ce-K DLX Koa
    SBMM JP70 Trans Purpleburst
    SBMM S.U.B. SB4 Black

http://mountainkingmusic.com
    http://spychocyco.blogspot.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    On a similar neck care note, anyone used Scotch-Brite instead of sandpaper to prepare their neck for the oil and wax treatment? I saw a suggestion for it elsewhere, and I used some ultra-fine last night on a non-EBMM neck that had a sticky finish. It slicked it up nicely, but I did notice it took more finish than I expected, hence my question.
    I wipe mine with a lightly moistened t-shirt rag with diluted Murphys Oil soap, drying quickly and thoroughly with fresh paper towels. I haven't need to sand yet.

EBMM L3 HH (Olive Gold)
    EBMM L3 HSS Roasted (Bodhi Blue)
    EBMM Silo Special (Blue Dawn)
    EBMM Albert Lee SSS (Sky Blue)
    EBMM Cutlass (Vintage Turquoise)
    EBMM L3 BFR (Blueberry Burst)
    EBMM Cutlass HSS (Firemist Silver)

www.TheseGuysLive.com
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeller View Post
    I ask because I wipe my fingerboard(s) with it on most string changes, which, depending on guitar and humidty levels and gig schedule can be several times a month? That said, i take it off quickly with a clean t-shirt rag, so doesn't soak in much at all. Should I consider backing off on that?
    I think it'll be just fine but I don't do it as frequently as you do, maybe just every few months. But it's not as if, as some people do with lemon oil, you're pouring oil on and rubbing it on with your fingers, which is way too much. When I use wonderwipes I use paper towels to immediately remove oil and buff.

Or you can use a soft damp sponge to clean, buff with paper towels. In fact I even used a little soap for years, with zero unwanted consequences...

Put a single drop of dish soap on the sponge, wet it througly and get a little lather up and then hand wring the sponge to lightly damp or almost dry. Use that to clean and then follow with paper towels to finish cleaning, dry surface moisture, and buff. Works a treat. Do NOT use the scratchy side of dish washing sponges, no matter which type you choose, they'll scratch up a finger board.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spychocyco View Post
    Once a year, when I re-apply gunstock oil and wax, I use a scotchbrite-type pad to give it a light rundown first.

User Info Menu

I am an amateur, so take this with a grain of salt ... If by gun oil you mean Tru Oil, I would never put it on the fretboard. It creates almost a lacquer-like finish that would never want to have there. In fact, I would not pit in on guitar part I did not want to ruin (or leave shiny/glossy).

This guitar body has Tru Oil on it, as an example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twang Banger View Post
    I am an amateur, so take this with a grain of salt ... If by gun oil you mean Tru Oil, I would never put it on the fretboard. It creates almost a lacquer-like finish that would never want to have there. In fact, I would not pit in on guitar part I did not want to ruin (or leave shiny/glossy).

PUT, not "pit".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Twang Banger View Post

Tru-Oil as we use it on Music man guitar necks is a light surface treatment on unfinished wood; a small amount on a paper towel, wipe on evenly and wipe straight off and buff with clean paper towels. Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil is the recommended product (though any similar gunstock oil will do) often followed by an identical light treatment of BC Gunstock Wax.

As it's done on that guitar body it's an actual "finish" of of Tru-Oil ( as people do on gunstocks): many multiple coats, usually allowed to dry and sanded back and usually left to harden dry for many weeks before final buffing and polishing. It's a very different use of Tru-Oil to what we do on our guitar necks.
    Last edited by DrKev; 08-24-2017 at 05:40 AM.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

Remember, there's a "k" in knucklehead.

User Info Menu

To answer the op's question, doesn't it depend on what type of fretboard you have? If you have an unfinished maple fretboard I don't see why you wouldn't do the same thing to it as you did the neck, assuming the neck is unfinished maple too.

User Info Menu

I always wipe my MM90 BFR fret board with Fast Fret before and after playing. Just a quick wipe.
    Every 3 months or so I clean and feed the fretboard and neck with lemon oil (Dunlop 65)
    Lemon Oil has been confirmed as being a suitable alternative by MM Customer Services.
    If later down the line I find it needs further attention, i will probably follow this Gun Stock wax method:
    Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee Neck cleaning and waxing - YouTube