Volt Power Supply

Thread: EBMM in house pickups

User Info Menu

EBMM in house pickups

Just curious as to what exactly compelled EBMM to start making their own pickups (I assume a combination of cost and freedom?) and when exactly they first started doing so. Was it with the STV HH? That was the first one I actually saw.

User Info Menu

I believe they started with the Cutlass and StingRay guitars released in 2015 or so. Technically they put their own pickups in the Sub1 guitars of the early 2000s. Not sure of the reasoning. The pickups in my Cutlass sound dang good.

User Info Menu

It goes back further than that - the MM90s were made in-house, and I think they start in 1998? I may be off by a year either way on that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    It goes back further than that - the MM90s were made in-house, and I think they start in 1998? I may be off by a year either way on that.
    They were I remember seeing them building them at the Open House in 2005.

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

I love the Cutlass pickups and put them up against any of the major pickup brands. Obviously, I haven't heard all pickups out there today, but the Cutlass is no slouch!
    A S T R O F R E Q . C O M

Axis Hardtail TransPurple #89749 (3/28/97)
    Reflex Classic White #G71108 (7/14/14)
    Cutlass
    StarryNight #G79870 (12/14/16)

User Info Menu

I remember there being several BFR guitars that had in house made pickups before the Stingray and Cutlass came out.

Before that, a lot of the Dimarzio and SD pickups that EBMM used were custom wound, either per the request of the artist, or because they are no longer made, like the Virtual PAFs on the Silo guitars.

No idea why they decided to move to more in house pickups, though that does mean that they need someone on staff who is really good at winding and designing pickups. I know that Dudley Gimpel designed the Luke III pickups, but I don't know who they have making pickups now.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

My thought was that working with so many artists on new guitars (like the Valentine, LIII, St. Vincent, Richardson Cutlass, Mariposa) it makes so much more sense to work with the artist on the pickups too. Keep everything in-house, so much more efficient and easier for everyone.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Right, the mm90 pickups are manufactured in house along with the bass pickups.

The Armada had some of the first production EBMM-wound humbuckers for guitar.
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands

User Info Menu

And the Game Changer Reflex, if memory serves me correctly. They HSH version had MM humbuckers, right?
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Fascinating that they've long been mixing making their own with sourcing from other manufacturers, though I guess they have some good folks in the pickup department as those new St Vincent Goldie pickups are magical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrKev View Post
    My thought was that working with so many artists on new guitars (like the Valentine, LIII, St. Vincent, Richardson Cutlass, Mariposa) it makes so much more sense to work with the artist on the pickups too. Keep everything in-house, so much more efficient and easier for everyone.
    Very true. Reading about how when developing the EVH pickups, the people from Dimarzio had to fly back and forth across the country, made me wonder how much that delayed development.

Still, they make the Axis pickups (also used on the Al HH), Steve Morse pickups, have made all of the Petrucci pickups, made the Luke III original pickups, the original St. Vincent pickups, and probably others I can't remember.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

I can only say that the EBMM pickups from my L III are one of if not the best pickups I have aber heard in 25 years of making music.
    2019 LIII in Firemist Purple

2020 LIII in Fuchsia Sparkle

2021 LIII Cherry Burst Quilt Top

User Info Menu

Last edited by PeteDuBaldo; 07-27-2021 at 04:29 AM. Reason: wrong thread!
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands