Jason Richardson Seven String Cutlass

Thread: acoustic

User Info Menu

acoustic

why is there nomusicman acoustics?

which affordabe acoustics do you guys play inplace of them?

thoughts on

copley
    ibanez
    aria
    takamine
    washburn
    ?

thanks,
    Michael
    Mike....mmmmm...............

User Info Menu

i would look at Wechter guitars! great playing, great sounding acoustics!!

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/index.htm

User Info Menu

Because I'm primarily an electric player, I don't really get on with big acoustics - I know they sound fuller etc etc, but I get a sore right arm after playing those behemoths for more than 15 minutes. My preference for acoustic (apart from a piezo in a silhouette or petrucci etc) is Ovation super shallow cutaways - fantastic playing and sounding guitars which sound amazing played straight into a PA. As well as that, if you go for the Adamas look with the little soundholes etc, they look fantastic. I've had an Ovation Elite Standard for years and have never felt the need to upgrade (although if money was no object have a look at Taylors) as I only use it occasionally.

User Info Menu

I have a cheap Alvarez-Yairi that sounds just great. I picked it up new back around 1993 after trying many different acoustics. (I think I paid around $250 for it back then?) The only thing in the store that I thought sounded better was a Takamine, but it was a lot more $$$ and I didn't want to spend that much at the time.

To this day, I still think it sounds great. It's got a really bright tone which I love, and I think it sounds great when recorded.

I think Music Man was built from the remnants of the Earthwood acoustic guitar factory. Since they are no longer making acoustics, I'm sure they have good reason. Personally I'm glad they don't make acoustics because I'd have worse G.A.S. than I do now.
    Last edited by SteveB; 04-18-2005 at 06:27 AM.
    JP6 Pearl Redburst
    Y2D Purple Sunset
    Dargie Delight (1) Bongo H
    Majesty (6 string) Glacial Frost

User Info Menu

Seagull, Norman and Art & Lutherie are all Godin brand acoustics, and in each case they're exceptional instruments at their price points. I sold a Martin to own my Seagull Artist, and have no regrets whatsoever - the Seagull's twice the guitar the Martin ever dreamed of being...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi D
    Seagull, Norman and Art & Lutherie are all Godin brand acoustics, and in each case they're exceptional instruments at their price points.
    +1 - I've also got a Seagull and would recommend same.
    MBG CIC ALOC
    "If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the, quality, workmanship, playability, tone or even color of your new, and or used, Albert Lee Model. Send it to me, and I will keep it."
    Albert Lee - Gremlin Greene

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyp
    Because I'm primarily an electric player, I don't really get on with big acoustics - I know they sound fuller etc etc, but I get a sore right arm after playing those behemoths for more than 15 minutes. My preference for acoustic (apart from a piezo in a silhouette or petrucci etc) is Ovation super shallow cutaways - fantastic playing and sounding guitars which sound amazing played straight into a PA. As well as that, if you go for the Adamas look with the little soundholes etc, they look fantastic. I've had an Ovation Elite Standard for years and have never felt the need to upgrade (although if money was no object have a look at Taylors) as I only use it occasionally.
    Hey jimmyp, you and I are exactly the same and I couldn't agree more. I can't play those big acoustics either. I play EBMM for electric and play Ovation shallow bowls for acoustic. I even have an EBMM Axis SS with piezo that I love.

Chad

User Info Menu

hey Chad
    Always good to see someone who thinks the same way. I know most people either love or hate the Ovation sound, but they work for me. I had considered an Axis with piezo, but I already have a 1994 EVH model so ordered a Sil Special instead just for something a bit different and a bit more stratty. I'll be posting pics on the pics site in the next couple of days of my gear as it stands (no doubt there will be new additions shortly)
    Dave

User Info Menu

i was recently BLOWN AWAY by the sound of a new breedlove import. 400.00 bucks.....killed everything in the store ......EVERYTHING !!!! (except a 6000.00 blonde gibson jumbo)......
    tommy in delaware
    (renegade redneck hillbilly geetar player )
    life 's what happens while your busy makin plans
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyalderson/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tommyindelaware
    i was recently BLOWN AWAY by the sound of a new breedlove import. 400.00 bucks.....killed everything in the store ......EVERYTHING !!!! (except a 6000.00 blonde gibson jumbo)......
    Agree totally. These guitars are an amazing value. I have a custom shop Breedlove and the imports (Atlas series) seem to be in the same league in terms of tone!

Terry
    Terry Hayes
    Auralex Acoustics

User Info Menu

If you happen to find a Landola, try one out! Great acoustics from Finland.

http://www.landola.fi/