JP 20th Anniversary

Thread: EBMM Steve Morse Standard - suggestions for replacing slanted neck single coil pickup

User Info Menu

EBMM Steve Morse Standard - suggestions for replacing slanted neck single coil pickup

Hey guys! Looking for some suggestions for a replacement pickup for the slanted neck single coil on my Morse Standard. I upgraded the pots to 500K, and I'm digging the sound of everything better right now, except the neck single. It's just too weak sounding compared to the others.

I replaced it with a Dimarzio Fast Track 1, but it sounds too dull. Looking for something that hits harder but is nice and bright, but I know that higher output singles usually end up having more high end roll off.

Currently looking at a Dimarzio Area 67, FS-1 or Red Velvet. Also looking at the Suhr V70.

Any other suggestions for something bright, punchy, but also loud for this particular position? It's literally half way between a neck position and a middle position, so getting the voicing and output right is tricky.

User Info Menu

I have the Area in my slanted position and it has punch and a little bite. I like it. I also put an Injector in the slot next to the bridge PU.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you.

User Info Menu

Which Area are you using in the slanted position? How is the output on it-- do you have it set fairly low, or close to the strings?

User Info Menu

I've never loved this pickup. Of the ones I've tried, I quite liked the Suhr ML. I know Tommy (forum member and Steve's tech) likes a Lollar Blonde in there. I've been debating throwing one in there. (That's probably lower output than you're looking for, though.)

I find my biggest complaint with the stock singles is the stagger- the pole pieces are often in the way. So something non-staggered would be handy.