VPJr Tuner

Thread: JP6 BFR woods

User Info Menu

JP6 BFR woods

Hi,

in the comparison of the different JP models (John Petrucci Signature Guitar Buying Guide – Ernie Ball Music Man), it says that the JP6 BFR has a mahogany tone block and alder body.
    I guess there have been JP6 BFR types produced regardless of this 'JP6 BFR' type, with probably different specifications?
    When did they issue 'the' JP6 BFR type?
    I'm considering a 2007 JP6 BFR (with the Ball Family Reserve inlay), and I'm wondering whether this has the tone block or would be the normal basswood body?

I don't know if someone can interpet this, but this is the build code: 962-64-J2-00-ES-CR
    It has chrome hardware, so I guess that's the CR?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

The build codes are Body - Color - Neck - Pickguard - Case - Hardware

If I recall correctly, 960 was the original JP6, 961 is JP6 with piezo, and 962 is BFR JP6, i.e. alder with maple top and mahogany tone block. Both 961 and 962 are current codes and appear as above on the product pages.
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Thanks DrKev.
    I figured out the first number through comparing serial numbers, but does 962 guarantee alder/maple/mahogany? (on a 2007 guitar)
    I tried to contact MM trhough their contact form but I get an error (need to prove that I'm human but there's nothing to select, and my emails get reset).

edit: tried chrome to send it and the captcha is present. Didn't work with FF
    Last edited by furor; 07-31-2021 at 11:42 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that's right but you can call them or email directly to Daniel at [email protected]. I'll let EMBB know about the captcha issue.

Thanks!
    Forum Moderator, Guitar Teacher and Guitar Tech, Folder of Underpants, Stubber of Toes.
    Irish/American in Paris

Silhouette Special (2005 Buttercream Limited Edition)
    Cutlass HSS (2018 Roasted Special, Ivory White)

Click here for my Music Man photo albums

Ernie Ball Customer Service
    Music Man Customer Service

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by furor View Post
    Thanks DrKev.
    I figured out the first number through comparing serial numbers, but does 962 guarantee alder/maple/mahogany? (on a 2007 guitar)
    I tried to contact MM trhough their contact form but I get an error (need to prove that I'm human but there's nothing to select, and my emails get reset).

edit: tried chrome to send it and the captcha is present. Didn't work with FF
    Yes, the 962 body type was the /alder body/maple top/mahogany tone block/ combination, certainly only that combination in 2007.

Later with and very limited exceptions there were some different woods used, such as the 2012ish Honey Roasted package and the 2013-14ish Neptune Blue package, etc. which came with an African Mahogany body (instead of alder) and maple top,
    Our exclusive color Diablo Blue is coming back in Summer 2021!
    DuBaldo Music's "Diablo Blue" !

^--- My Store --->
    DuBaldo Music on Facebook also on Twitter and on Instagram

Do you want to TRADE your used EBMM in for a NEW one? -- Email me for details!
    YELLOW 9 -- HeadSpace -- Romeo's Bleeding - Bon◆Jovi Tribute <--- My bands