Majesty New Colors 2021
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering my first EBMM purchase- Albert Lee

User Info Menu

Man, I'm not having luck on my AL search so far. I posted a WTB ad here and on another gear forum. One guy offered me his pink-burst, which looks great. So I contacted him and now he's re-thinking letting it go. Another guy has one, but it has non-original pickups, so I contacted EBMM and can purchase three singles from them, but it's pricey. Not sure if it's cost-effective to buy a "project guitar." Maybe I need to be patient or consider one of the HH models. Not sure.

User Info Menu

How about this one? Pretty good deal.

Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee SSS- Birdseye Maple- Pearl | Reverb

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Yes! I may choose that one, although I like other finishes a bit more.

User Info Menu

Tangerine pearl! Gorgeous color in person! Haven't seen many AL's in that finish...
    But, imho, they're asking too much for it. Some serious fret wear, corrosion on the bridge...
    I wouldn't pay more than 1400 shipped, but that's me... and only that much because I love that finish.
    If you're patient, I'll be happy to keep my eyes open for you...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    Tangerine pearl! Gorgeous color in person! Haven't seen many AL's in that finish...
    But, imho, they're asking too much for it. Some serious fret wear, corrosion on the bridge...
    I wouldn't pay more than 1400 shipped, but that's me... and only that much because I love that finish.
    Very kind- yes please. I’d love some guidance on my search.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop View Post
    As will I keep an eye on Ebay thread.

ebay/Craigslist treasures

Glenn |B)
    Silhouette Special SSS in the first Fuschia Sparkle (Hardtail) [1/01/2002] [2001 NAMM piece, 1 of a kind from CLB]
    Silhouette Special HSS in Gold Sparkle (Hardtail) [7/12/2002] [Made for Matchbox 20]
    Albert Lee 3 MM90's in White Sparkle (Hardtail) [8/14/2001] [NOS Just pure awesomeness]
    Albert Lee HH in Black Sugar (Hartail) [1/06/2011] [BFR with the 12th fret logo]

Like BP said in the Chapman video "You've got a room full of guitars, and no money!! @ 6:00"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    As will I keep an eye on Ebay thread.

ebay/Craigslist treasures

Glenn |B)
    Much appreciated!

Here’s the project guitar that came to my attention.

Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee | eBay

I love the finish, but think I’d need a new pick guard, three AL pickups, black knobs, etc. I thought it might be too much effort, but still haven’t ruled it out (unless you all think I should).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
    Much appreciated!

Here’s the project guitar that came to my attention.

Ernie Ball Music Man Albert Lee | eBay

I love the finish, but think I’d need a new pick guard, three AL pickups, black knobs, etc. I thought it might be too much effort, but still haven’t ruled it out (unless you all think I should).
    I'm pretty cautious about EvilBay these days myself.

Glenn |B)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GWDavis28 View Post
    I'm pretty cautious about EvilBay these days myself.

Glenn |B)
    The seller of that one contacted me on another forum, where I put a WTB ad. He offered me that one for $1175. Then, it would be another $325 for AL pickups. Thus, I hesitate. Not sure if I should offer something lower or skip it all together. I’m thinking it’s the latter,

User Info Menu

1175 including shipping is a very decent price for that as long as the frets are still serviceable. You can tell it's an older model by the s/n and the inset neck plate.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on factory pickups, especially for your first AL. There are tons of strat-style pups that can give you any tone you want.
    You want an SSS in that finish with a hardtail... I'd ask the seller for good picks of the frets and any other 'damage', and if it checks out OK, that's a good deal. You can easily put whatever electronics you want in it and a replacement pick guard isn't a lot either...
    Balls are Best!!

User Info Menu

Agreed. The stock Duncans are great, but there are tons of other pickups that do the same thing.

User Info Menu

Considering my first EBMM purchase- Albert Lee-906f684d-b05a-4956-9f3b-766b04382ba8-jpg
    Considering my first EBMM purchase- Albert Lee-aedb14dc-40f2-41a8-9113-98ca9dc2b6d1-jpg

Thanks guys, I may consider and follow up with the seller of the three-tone burst AL. In addition, here is the pink burst. It’s a 1994 and is described as 7/10 condition. Seller is asking 1600. Kind of pricey?

On one hand I have this pink burst, which is a cool first-year guitar that needs no parts, reversal of mods, etc. On the other hand, I have a less expensive three-tone burst that does need parts/work and it may be cool after the work is done. What would you do?
    Last edited by skhan007; 08-12-2021 at 05:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Go with the one you find most appealing, I'd say.

User Info Menu

As one of the founding members of the ALOC (Albert Lee Owners Club) I felt obliged to add my 2d.
    It's interesting that you mention the EVH - I had one, a hardtail, for quite some time. I fell out of love with it because of an issue with the neck - too narrow resulting in the E string "coming off" the side of the fret board. I've had 3 Alberts (i still own two) and once I bought my first one in 2005 I have never looked back. You can see the specifications in my signature.
    The necks on The Albert, Axis and Silo are very similar, and for me the Albert is one of the best guitars I have played (I've played for almost 50 years).
    I'd say get the trem version. As has previously been mentioned, if you don't want to use it pull out the handle. It can be set up to float too a la floyd, without all the associated metalwork. The classic trem on the Albert knocks spots off Fenders Trem imo
    A lot of people, on playing an Albert have not turned back. - I'm one of them.
    Black Cherry Burst Albert Lee , SSS,Trem & Piezo 2005
    Black LE Albert Lee MM90,Trem 2006 with solid 9k gold knobs;Mesa F50 Combo; Original (owned from new)Marshall 25/50 Silver Jubilee signed by Jim;AER 60 ;WEM Clubman 5W;Musicman RP 65 112;Musicman RD 50 112:
    Fender Jaguar Modern - P90's

User Info Menu

I'd suggest you don't buy hard tail! The trem is too fabulous not to have one. And it looks better
    AL SSS BFR Pinkburst
    AL SSS Neptune Blue
    AL HH Starry Night
    AL HH Sparkle Pink
    AL MM90 Sparkle Turquoise