EB Tone Squad

Thread: Luke lll or Majesty, or?

User Info Menu

Luke lll or Majesty, or?

A Luke lll and a Majesty both look like they could potentially be good choices to be my next guitar, at least I get excited thinking of buying one.

My sound? Light rock, country, preferring clean sounds with a bit of reverb and delay now and again but thatís about it.

I currently have a Cutlass SSS and a Sabre.

Are either the Luke or Majesty a good fit, or a bad fit based on the sounds I like to make? Is there another model that you think might be a better choice?

Thx for your thoughts and sharing any experiences you are willing to articulate. I pretty much have to buy to try a MM or drive for many hours to play one in a store..
    Best,
    Bryan

*EBMM BFR Sabre - Coral Blue Burst
    *EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS - Scarlet Red
    *Various non EBMM guitars

User Info Menu

I'd say look at the stingray, but you already have a Sabre, and I would wager the pickups are somewhat similar.

I have a Luke III SSH, and it is very versatile. I haven't looked much at the majesty or JP models, as I like 22 fret guitars and the neck position farther from the bridge.

There's also always the St Vincent Goldie. Definitely great for cleans.
    2007 Stingray 5 HS Cherry Burst / Maple FB / Ceramic Pickups
    2012 Stingray 5 H Pearl Blue / Rosewood FB / AlNiCo Pickup
    2012 Steve Morse Morse Blueburst / Rosewood FB
    2012 Luke III SSH Vintage Sunburst / Rosewood Neck
    2021 Stingray RS Pacific Blue Sparkle / Maple FB

User Info Menu

Either the Goldie or Albert Lee

User Info Menu

On the Albert Lee SSS, HSS, or HH?
    Best,
    Bryan

*EBMM BFR Sabre - Coral Blue Burst
    *EBMM BFR Cutlass SSS - Scarlet Red
    *Various non EBMM guitars

User Info Menu

I have an AL HH, never tried the other iterations, though I guess for Albert Lee himself his original sss was basically his tele-slayer. The HH is a very warm clean, on the darker end but still really clear with a piano-like resonance. It's my go to for warm jazz tones. Because the two humbuckers are on a 5 way switch, however, it opens up more tele and Strat tones than a typical two humbucker guitar. To me that's the guitar's real x-factor.